How Many Pans Of Each Size Would You Have?

Decorating By miss_sweetstory Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 10:18am by PatricesPieces

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #1 of 6

The number of cakes I am making seems to be increasing exponentially every month... including stacked cakes. I have recently decided to upgrade all of my pans to Magic Line, but like all of us have a limited budget to put towards this.

I am in the market for round and square pans up to 12" (British ovens are little compared to their average American counterparts). Any advice as to which sizes I should have multiples of? Based on your experiences, does it make sense to have more than one of a size if they can't be in the oven at the same time?

Thanks for the help!

Ann

5 replies
apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there ....from my expericence I have multiple 6 inch round, 8 inch round and 10 inch round cakes, as they are a pretty standard size, and most people order these. ALso are popular for when doing tiered cakes...I do a 6/8 tier and a 6/10 tier as well...hope this helps..

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 6

You may only be able to get so many in the oven at a time, but I have found that when I need more than one cake of the same size, it's great to put the first round of pans in, while you prep the next. It sure beats having to cool the pans, wash them, then re-grease and flour the pans you just used, before you can continue baking. icon_smile.gif

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 6

I totally agree with Brownie.....more pans means you can prep faster. I would rather have a waiting line on my counter of cakes waiting to be baked, than an empty oven doing the waiting!

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 9:45am
post #5 of 6

Hi, I'm from the Uk too (Colchester so not far away!) and have just got a new oven... which is so small! can only just fit my 12" pan in! I don't know if you have seen the square tins that can be made to fit any size you want up to 12 x 12? But I have one and its great! Less waste when making novelty cakes as you can make rectangles and not too badly priced either! it folds down so doesn't take up much room for storage and you can also batch bake eg four 6 x 6's. They also sell extra dividers so you can cook mini cakes. Theres a pic below... I know you can get them from Almond Art or most uk cake suppliers online. So you can have one cake pan that will take care of all the sizes you might need. So a couple of these may save you from having a whole load of pans! Hope this helps!
LL

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:18am
post #6 of 6

I agree with apetricek....get multiples of your smaller pans. As for the bigger pans...it depends on how much volumn you have and if you have a commercial oven or just a regular size oven. With my commercial oven, I can fit several pans in at the same time. Definitely get duplicates in square and in round. You will save lots of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%