Amateur At Fondant, What Did I Do Wrong?

Decorating By bakinglover Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm by cakesthatrock

bakinglover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinglover Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 17

I am new to fondant but have worked in bakeries before. I worked with a chef a few weeks ago and made my first cake. I am in the process of making a cake for my husband to take to work. It is an 11x17 with 2 layers. Maybe to big for my first go! I am using Satin Ice fondant. I did not get enough out the first couple of times I rolled it out and wound up rolling it out 3 times on Sunday, got frustrated and walked away. Last night I added more fondant and rolled it out again. Put it on the cake and it is scaly and will not go smooth. Did I over work the fondant? Just trying to figure out what I did wrong to correct it in the future. Thank for your help.

16 replies
Niliquely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 17

I had that happen once...I think it dried out. I added some Crisco back in and worked it until the dry scalies disappeared. Don't know if that helps!

bakinglover Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niliquely

I had that happen once...I think it dried out. I added some Crisco back in and worked it until the dry scalies disappeared. Don't know if that helps!

The cake is in the fridge. Do you think it would be okay to take the fondant off and work it in with the crisco and start over or just give up on this one? Thanks!

Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 17

You put your fondant cakes in the fridge? I'm not very experienced, but I always leave fondant out of the fridge...is this a practice cake or a cake to sell?

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 17

It sounds like your fondant dried out - I would work crisco into it and maybe a little bit of water (not much) Then I would put a large pot of water on the stove and boil away this will help keep moisture in the air and help the fondant not dry out so much while you work with it.

bakinglover Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:

You put your fondant cakes in the fridge? I'm not very experienced, but I always leave fondant out of the fridge...is this a practice cake or a cake to sell?

This is more for practice. My husband was going to take it work. I was just trying to keep the buttercream cool.

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #7 of 17

I would not mix water with the fondant - it will make it very sticky - you could try a little crisco. If it's already on the cake over top of buttercream you don't want to take it off and re-work it unless you have more fondant to use - you won't be able to reuse what you have. If refrigerating your cake with fondant on it - be careful touching it when you bring it out until it comes to room temperature - there may be condensation on it and you will leave finger marks on it.

Debbie

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:28pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakinglover

Quote:

This is more for practice. My husband was going to take it work. I was just trying to keep the buttercream cool.

There's nothing wrong with putting fondant cakes in the fridge. Just give them plenty of time to air out and come to RT but you'll fine. I've done this plenty.

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 17

I think that your fondant is too dry,just add a little shortening to it & that should help.

cakesthatrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesthatrock Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #10 of 17

You may want to check this website out, I always have luck finding what I need there http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_fondantrolled_tips.htm
I have taken fondant off a cake a lot of times. You will need to wipe the bc off of the fondant. I have this problem when my fondant is too dry. I have added crisco and vanilla extract. When the crisco does not seem to be doing good enough then I will add extract. I also seem to have better luck with my fondant when I use crisco and not constarch or confect sugar to use so the fondant will not stick when I roll it out.
I have read in the Cake Bible that putting a fondant cake in the fridge for just an hour or so will help the fondant melt in your month. I have always been to chicken to do this. Good Luck.

Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:31pm
post #11 of 17

Okay, thank you...I just didn't know! I had an instructor tell me not to! Oh well...

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 17

HMM....if you put the fondant on the cake you could have gotten some frosting in the fondant...that would cause crusties

bakinglover Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:29pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you so much!

Niliquely Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesthatrock

I have read in the Cake Bible that putting a fondant cake in the fridge for just an hour or so will help the fondant melt in your month. I have always been to chicken to do this. Good Luck.

I so have to read that book! I think my librarians have about had it with me and all my inter-library-loaning though! I read any cake book I can get my hands on!!!

bakinglover Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:40pm
post #15 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesthatrock

You may want to check this website out, I always have luck finding what I need there http://www..com/decorating/cakes_fondantrolled_tips.htm

I am not able to get this link to open.

cakesthatrock Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #16 of 17

Try this link, www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_fondantrolled_tips.htm - 98k -
hope that works. I read everything I can. I got my book off of amazon, you can find some great deals on used books. I think there is over 45 different fillings and buttercream recipes. Wonderful book, I love my Cake Bible! Rosy Levy also has a website, but I am not sure if it is free.

cakesthatrock Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #17 of 17

I do not think that link works. I was sending you to www.baking911.com and going to decorating 101 rolling fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%