Smooth A Cake By The Tape Or Acetate Method?

Decorating By SusanaDalia Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm by Arriva

SusanaDalia Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 16

Does anyone know of a how to video on this? I already use the Viva method, but I heard this might be faster.

15 replies
Ballymena Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #2 of 16

I don't do the tape or acetate method but find the Melvira method on this site to be the fastest and best.

SusanaDalia Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballymena

I don't do the tape or acetate method but find the Melvira method on this site to be the fastest and best.

Do you have a link to that? Or can you describe it please?

SusanaDalia Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:40am
post #4 of 16

bump

Jakap2 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:55am
post #5 of 16

When you scroll down home page, there is a link "Quick & Easy Smooth Icing Using a Roller (Melvira Method)"
Just follow instructions

SusanaDalia Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakap2

When you scroll down home page, there is a link "Quick & Easy Smooth Icing Using a Roller (Melvira Method)"
Just follow instructions

Thanks for letting me know where to find it. I will try that method, it seems to be a very good idea.

I still would like to know though if anyone has the tape or acetate method so I can try to see what works best for me the next time I make a cake. I am always trying to find the quickest ways to do things, but still have a good looking cake.

mclaren Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:13am
post #7 of 16

can you describe this tape or acetate method?

cakes22 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:12pm
post #8 of 16

I'm interested in the tape method as well.

Always looking for ways to smooth icing.

majka_ze Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 7:47pm
post #9 of 16

Easiest way to smooth a half ball cake would be the tape method, I suppose. I found the video where I have seen it first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwqaF8f3VW0&feature=PlayList&p=3EA25994E0B25A96&index=21

But it is very easy to explain. Ice your cake, take a tape (there was a long piece of paper) between your hands. Set the paper at bottom and drag it upsides. It works as a round scraper.

I used it for simple round cake too. It works beautifully. The paper (I used baking parchment) doesn't allow for too high pressure. You cannot get it wrong.

Is this what the OP wanted?

pkinkema Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #10 of 16

Bummer! That youtube video is no longer available. icon_sad.gif

Got a question about the tape method (I've a visual kinda gal). Do we take a long piece of tape, put paper on it and use the tape as "handles"? After I send this I'll probably get an epiphany and understand! But thanks for humoring me in the meantime!!

majka_ze Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #11 of 16

The video works - I am running it now. Try it again, youtube works today somewhat erratic.
The name is "Princess cake: How to make a princess doll birthday cake" and the smoothing part comes between 2:20 and about 3:20.

The tape is a piece of paper here!

pkinkema Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 16

Aaaargh....still got the error message that the video is no longer available. icon_mad.gif

Tee-Y Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:19am
post #13 of 16

Oh yeah! It sure does work. I've just finished watching the video and its awesome how smooth and fast the paper is to use.Thanks for the link.

SusanaDalia Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:19am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by majka_ze

Easiest way to smooth a half ball cake would be the tape method, I suppose. I found the video where I have seen it first http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwqaF8f3VW0&feature=PlayList&p=3EA25994E0B25A96&index=21

But it is very easy to explain. Ice your cake, take a tape (there was a long piece of paper) between your hands. Set the paper at bottom and drag it upsides. It works as a round scraper.

I used it for simple round cake too. It works beautifully. The paper (I used baking parchment) doesn't allow for too high pressure. You cannot get it wrong.

Is this what the OP wanted?

Yes, this is exactly what I was asking about, thank thank thank you. You are right, she used a piece of paper, but the method is the same as the tape. Again, thanks a lot.

pkinkema Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #15 of 16

Geez! What do you guys know that I don't? I've tried that link at least a dozen times--on two different days--but always get the error message that the video is no longer available. I even went in "thru the front door" instead of using the link, searched for How To Make A Princess Birthday Cake, and got the same message. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Arriva Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 16

Just another reason why I love this site. I'll take a look at the video tonight. Thanks for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%