Organized Cookie Cutters.

Baking By trishalynn0708 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm by lizamlin

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 16

I was wondering how everyone stored their cookie cutters so that they are easy to find when you need them. Here is my thought on what to do.

Buy Glade Freezer Bags and put different themes in each bag. Like Easter in one, Christmas in another and then labeling them and putting them in a Tote.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or ideas??

15 replies
sunnigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunnigirl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 16

I store mine in the gallon zip loc bags based on theme &or holiday. Then I place them in a set of four drawers that are stacked and on casters. They work perfectly. I can put two to three themes per drawer and can always stack additional drawers on top if needed. I label the front of the drawer and have added two additional drawers on top to make mine six drawers tall. I have a couple of empty ones to grow into.
Uses minimal floor space which is perfect because my cookie room is pretty small.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 16

For most cutters, I use those plastic shoe box size containers, labeled by category. I can store them 3 boxes across on a shelf in a closet just off my kitchen. For smaller or larger groups, I also have some plastic storage boxes that were made for storing Christmas ornaments.

There are lots of boxes in there, so I don't let many people take a look into that closet!

SweetPicks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPicks Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:30pm
post #4 of 16

Right now I am using the 4 drawer on castors(sp) as my cookie supply "dresser" and I use one of the drawers for cutters. They aren't organized but they are all together. The large family size Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate containers that are round can fit quite a few in them.

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 16

I put them in large (depending on how many go into each bag) plastic bags - with an inventory list of what is inside. I also catagorize mine my holidays, etc.

Putting a label "Christmas" on the outside makes them quicker to find. Also I find putting Spring cutters out and ready to use is also a time saver. Since I won't need fall and winter they get packed away with my cold weather stuff.

Yeah Spring!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 16

I am a cookie cutter junkie and have over 350 cutters. I organized them all into plastic "shoe" boxes with lids and labeled them on one side. I had them all stacked in a large cabinet in my kitchen, but the collection got too large. Right now half of the boxes are in my car and the other half are at the bakery where I work. I'm just going to keep them all there since we have a large basement for storage and that is where I use them, after all. I think I have 26 boxes and broke them down into categories (graduation, baby, wedding, Christmas, winter, fall, Halloween, sports, boy stuff, girl stuff, Easter, St. Patrick's Day & Spring, animals A-D, animals E-L, animals M-Z, water animals, insects, birds, Valentine's Day, basic geometric shapes, clothing, vehicles, food shapes, music, letters & numbers, & misc.) The hardest part of organizing them is finding the space for them!!!!

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 16

I also use the clear shoe box containers, and categorize by theme. They're a buck a piece at Wal-Mart or the dollar store. I store them in stacked on shelves in the pantry.

sulia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sulia Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:16pm
post #8 of 16

hi, i also store mine in stackable plastic boxes with lids - i have separated them by colour. then i created a colour coded inventory list on an excel spreadsheet that can be organised any way you want.
For instance if i'm looking for a train cutter, i simply alphabetise the list, find the train entry and then i know what colour it is and in which box to look.

i tried separating by theme but i found that I would need too many boxes and also there were too many miscellanous cutters and cutters that would fit in multiple theme areas. An example would be STARS - they could fit in a Christmas theme, New Years, Party Celebration as well as a Space theme.

I know this might not work for all, but it works for me.

Sulia
PS - i must admit i store all the tiny cutters such as blossoms, stars,circles etc in a small container. i find i use this often for fondant cut outs and its better to keep them separately.

sunnigirl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #9 of 16

robinscakes - I'm with you, I broke over 350 a while back. I can't go in a store without going to the bakery isle to see if they have some type of cutter that I don't have yet. I have mine catorgorized alpabetically on excel and also by theme. I keep a print out inside each drawer listing what's in it. I found out it is really helpful to have a couple of sizes of the same cutter. I use small cutters for showers and parties for women, it seems they like to eat a small piece of something along with cake and other stuff. The bigger ones come in handy for cookie bouquets. Oh yes, I also keep a print out of my cookie cutter list in my purse at all times so I can avoid duplication. Even then sometimes I have extra, those I gather up and take to my niece who is a beginner.
I like the shoe box idea. When my cabinets get too tall I guess I could still put one or two of those on top! icon_smile.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:59am
post #10 of 16

Sunnigirl, it's good to know that someone else shares my sickness...or passion. They all make fun of me at the bakery, but the way I see it, it's an inexpensive thing to collect, and I profit from them when I make cookies. Whenever I get a few days off of work I find myself online looking for cutters I don't have. A few months ago I bought some online and the mailman left the box of cutters right at the base of my garage door. Well, I was parked inside the garage and when I raised the garage door to leave the house...smoosh! I ran them right over. Of course there were no survivors when it's cookie cutters vs. big ol SUV! I was P.O.'d to say the least, and they were not insured so I had to buy them all over again.

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:10pm
post #11 of 16

Mine are all thrown in a plastic box with a lid so I can dig through them looking for one certain cutter and say "Oh, I forgot I had one of those" icon_smile.gif Think I will start organizing them today in the gallon bags!

Cookie45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie45 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #12 of 16

Trishalynn-I almost started a post last week about this very subject. Thanks for doing it for me. icon_rolleyes.gif I, too, can barely resist buying new cutters. I was semi-organized until last week...I spent 6 hours going through my cutters, both cookie and fondant, trying to figure out a way to find them when i need them.

I have 8 clear shoe boxes labeled with specific themes, 2 boxes of miscellaneous, and a larger clear box for fondant/gum paste cutters.

Now I need to make a list like Sunnigirl-I cannot remember what I do and do not have.

All my spring cleaning started with a simple question? "Do you have a mini purse cookie cutter?" No, I do not...heading to Country Kitchen in Ft. Wayne ASAP. They have a huge selection!!

sunnigirl Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 2:59pm
post #13 of 16

Robinscakes,
How awful!!!! icon_sad.gif I guess they were too squished to keep & try to bend into another shape? My only bad experience has been that I bought duplicates of a set of pretty expensive fluted round cutters. The postage would cost me too much to return. I couldn't believe I did it. Talk about a senior moment.
I thought about selling them on ebay but I have never used it. Guess they will just go to my niece.
I'm with you. I just LOVE buying cookie cutters. And isn't it funny when you run into someone you know or even someone in a store that you don't even know and start talking about cookies and cookie cutters.....it's like you just can't stop talking. Just don't get me started on the subject unless you have some time on your hands!
Back to storing cutters.......I bought one of those plastic storage boxes with the drawers that are about 2 1/2 " deep X 12" wide - with five or six drawers and my mini cutters store great in that.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #14 of 16

I have four of the clear shoebox sized ones, and a Tupperware large Modular Mate rectangle full of Christmas. I sorted by Misc, shapes, fall/winter (other than Xmas, and Spring/summer. I too have to look all along, and of course add. I'll have to get more boxes soon!

BTW, I picked up some easter cutters at Hobby Lobby today. Left some behind. When checking out, ALL EASTER WAS HALF PRICE! Didn't have time to go back for the others! So my splurge became even better!

cjshoemake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjshoemake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:25pm
post #15 of 16

bakingatthebeach- Glad to know I am not alone!!! icon_eek.gif I thought I was doing good to get them all thrown in to the 4 drawer thingy on castors. But I have so many of them, I have to dump all 4 drawers out one by one to look for THE ONE I need. As I dig, I find 4 or 5 that I totally don't even remember buying. icon_redface.gif Looks like I will invest in another box of Ziploc bags! Great Idea thumbs_up.gif

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:29pm
post #16 of 16

I do like cindy58 -For most cutters, I use those plastic shoe box size containers. Just this past weekend I took pics of the cutters laid out on floor - will paste to front of corresponding box icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%