Peanut Free Cakes Question.

Decorating By amycake Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm by amycake

amycake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #1 of 5

Hi all,

I was wondering about peanut free cakes. Someone asked me if I did them and I said no. Do any of you do nut free cakes, and if so is it a ton of work to make sure it is so that someone does not have a problem.

I just feel I don't want to be liable for guarantee of no nuts. Does that sound silly?

Let me know what you think.
Amy

4 replies
PinkZiab Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 5

Unless the facility where you are baking (your home or whatever) is 100% nut-free (or whatever that allergen is), you cannot guarantee that your cake will be allergen free. The MOST you could do is offer to bake them a nut-free cake with the warning that your facility is not nut-free, and there is some risk of cross-contamination.

Frankly, it's not worth the risk. There is a local nut-free bakery I refer clients to for these types of things. It's not worth risking my business (as well as possibly risking someone's life) just to get an order.

amycake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the advise. I said no as that is what I thought. My home is for sure not a peanut free zone and I would never want to be responsible for hurting anyone. That would be horrible. Thanks again.
amycake icon_biggrin.gif

cakes22 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 5

If you can't garuntee it, then don't do it.
I have a disclaimer on my orders & cake info, that I can offer dairy/egg free cakes, but I am not a "nut-free environment" (except me, I'm a little nutty icon_lol.gif ). I have done orders for friends who have children with nut-allergies and haven't had a problem. Usually if I do a cake for them, everything is run thru the dishwasher on sanatize, & all my ingredients are kept seperate, not any where near peanut butter or any other nut. You also have to watch out for sesame seeds, as a few kids with a nut allergy also have a severe sesame seed allergy.

amycake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #5 of 5

There is so much to know with this that I just would not want an issue. This person is a friend that wants the cupcakes, but not for me. This is more of just a hobby for me, I do cakes for friends and family out of my house and there is for sure peanuts and peanut butter as I love them. Thank you for your advise and comment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%