We've Decided To Go A Different Route.....

Business By Mencked Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm by weirkd

Mencked Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 4

When a potential client emails you this statement, would it be unwise to reply and ask for feedback as to why they've decided to go a different route? I recently made a sample fondant cake for this potential bride and they were so excited to get the cake, they'd heard great things about my cakes, etc.....but have decided to go a different route . I would really love to know what I could have done to improve their experience. Was there a hair in the cake, did it taste bad, were they unhappy with my MMF fondant? This was the first cake I'd given as a sample cake using previously frozen cakes and though I know it shouldn't have tasted any different than a "fresh" one, I'd still love to know details....or am I just being too needy here. This bride wanted a totally fondant cake and I was so excited to finally, possibly get to do one (they're not too popular around here). Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated! This is the cake they bought as the "sample" cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1282206.html

3 replies
jillmakescakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 4

I don't s anything wrong with sending a quick note wishing them the best in their new life and letting them know that you welcome any feedback that will help grow you business.

CakeForte Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #3 of 4

I think you should ask. say..."Thank you so much for taking the time to consider me. May I ask if there was anything that I could do to improve for the next client?"

That happened to me once...the client was really nice. She said I was the only one that asked for feedback. I think she went with someone else because of price or something. Anyway...a couple of years later, that client that didn't choose me actually called me with a referral for a new potential client.

weirkd Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 4

You know, I wondered about doing the same thing. Especially when you have a feeling like they were going to pick you and then all of a sudden decide not to. And I know my prices are cheaper than most around so unless they decided to go grocery store cake their not getting it cheaper!
But thanks for a good suggestion! I think I will do that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%