Bleeding Black Buttercream

Decorating By Jenthecakelady Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 12:50am by Jenthecakelady

Jenthecakelady Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #1 of 6

I am fairly new to decorating and was wondering if there is any way to keep black buttercream icing from bleeding. I do a lot of character birthday cakes which almost always have a white eye with black center. I am going to try a frozen buttercream transfer for the first time and was wondering if I would have the same problem there as well. (It is going to be Hello Kitty so I figured that was a simple one to start with.) Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
dlinnane Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 6

I had that problem on cookies, and the solution (which many other decorators recommended) was to let the other color dry for a few hours before adding the black. Hope that helps.

buttercreamdreams Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

Does it matter what king of food color you use? I have found gels to be best but is there a brand that is recommended over another to prevent the running? I am new at this too. Thanks a bunch! I have to do Elmo this weekend.

Jenthecakelady Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 6

I use Wilton gel colors. On the Elmo cake that I did I waited until right before the party to put on the black for the eyes, but when it's not your own party you can't do that. That's my problem. I have two cakes coming up soon both who prefer a black outline on white BC which need to be delivered the day before the party.

campbelland Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 6

I always sift in a littel cocoa power and this really works for me. Sandy

Jenthecakelady Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #6 of 6

I will try this. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%