All Satin Ice Users. I Really Really Need Your Help.

Decorating By Rylan Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 6:49am by sugarshack

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:35am
post #1 of 12

Early February, I ordered my Satin Ice. I never opened it until I started using it. I kept it in a dark cool place. Last week I made my first fondant cake. I had one major problem. When I lay the fondant onto the cake, it kept tearing. It also kept cracking. I did everything I can. I used shortening and didn't work, got another piece of fondant and used cornstartch and it didnt work, powdered sugar also didn't work, powdered sugar/cornstarch and it still ripped. I tried kneading it as much as I can it it still wont work. I tried softening it before using and still didn't work. I tried kneading it thicker and thinner and it STILL kept tearing and cracking. I tried every possible advice I've seen in the forums and NOTHING worked.

So I came here in CC again and try to figure out whats the problem and came upon tons of topics about the bad batches of Satin Ice. Can anyone please please please help me know if I got a bad batch. Can anyone please check if we have the same batch number and if it worked with you or not. My batch number is 902045.

I also checked the top lid and on the top lid the arrow is pointing on number 5(month) and the other arrow points at number 8(year). Is that the expiration date? Was it the date it was made?

I really really need all your help. I spent my money on this and I cannot afford to throw everything in the trash. Anyone please help me?

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

11 replies
online_annie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
online_annie Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:21am
post #2 of 12

I am so sorry to hear that you are having such problems with Satin Ice. It is the only fondant I use and have always been very happy with it. How long are you kneading it before rolling it out? I work mine for about 3 min. quickly kneading it like bread dough with a light dusting of cornstarch on my work surface and pin. This not only softens it, but also smooths it out. If when rolling I notice the edge cracking a bit, I go back to kneading and it usually corrects the problem.

Other things to consider would be how thick or thin are you rolling it out? Are you over working it? Taking too long, can cause cracking. What color are you working with? I have come across some of their colors that tend to crack easier than others.

As for bad batch, I have never had one and I have worked with it for many years. I am also thrown off by the description of your "lid". I have gone through my supply and not found anything that matches that description with arrows or numbers. What size did you purchase? 2#, 5# or 20#? Have you already contacted the Company you purchased it from? Where did you purchase your fondant? Local store or Internet?

Hang in there!

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:39am
post #3 of 12

I have had similar problems. I keep getting this cracking/ tearing on the cake. It is not a consistent problem but it is frustrating to work with lately. I have done all of the above with no success too so I would be interested if there is a "bad batch".

Rylan Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:46am
post #4 of 12

Thanks online_annie for the reply.

I've actually keaded (before rolling) it in different ways at different times. I once rolled it for 5 minutes, once for 3 minutes and once for so long I didn't even keep track of time.

I've rolled it for about 1/4 of an inch, 1/5 of an inch and 1/3 of an inch. None worked.

I actually tried rolling it as fast as I can. I'm sure it wasn't that long.

I'm actually using the plain 20 pound white vanilla bucket of which I ordered at GlobalSugarArt.
It actually has two clock looking things on the lid where one clock points at 5 and one clock points at 8. I'm guessing it means May 2008. I haven't tried contacting them but I definitely will.

I'm just not sure if its me or the fondant. Confused.

cmerola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmerola Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:06am
post #5 of 12

The cake I made this weekend was made using Satin Ice. The white (vanilla) was wonderful and went on smoothly, however the black kept me up until wee hours in the morning. I nearly throw the stuff out the door. I find that when working with the colors they seem dry and become brittle quickly. When I made my gumball machine cake I had so many problems with the red Satin ice that I had to throw the first batch away. The second batch I used one #2 red and one #2 white and red gel coloring. This seemed to work out for me but the red was a little off. I checked my lids and I din't see any numbers, the batch # is on the label. I used a #5 white and a #2 black this weekend.

i_heart_pastry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_heart_pastry Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:18am
post #6 of 12

I have a batch - 808114 - that is also a 20# tub of white vanilla that I bought from GSA. Just made a cake last weekend and it was perfectly fine. Since my batch number is lower, I'm guessing it was made prior to yours, so I doubt if yours has expired. I see the little calendar numbers on the lid that you're referring to, but since they are molded into the plastic, I don't think it is an expiration date.

Not sure why it isn't working for you. I don't do nearly as many cakes as the pros on CC, but I've been using SA for over a year and I haven't had any cracking problems. I knead for a few minutes to get it workable, then I shape it into a ball, wrap it in plastic and let it rest for a few minutes while I make sure that my cake is ready to go. Then I dust my plastic work surface with cornstarch and roll out the fondant. I eyeball the thickness, but I would guess that I roll it as thick as two stacked quarters. Then I immediately place it on the cake, using the rolling pin to lift it. It does dry pretty quickly once it's rolled out, so you have to be fairly quick at this point.

I've also found that if I've left some out for too long and it starts to get dry, kneading in a little shortening will bring it right back. I'm not sure that I've been very helpful, but good luck in figuring it out. I love SA way better than any of the recipes I've tried...hope it will work for you too!

Bec

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 12

to avoid the tearing and cracking problem i use a silicone fondant mat to roll it out on; flip the whole thing over onto the cake, and then peel off the mat. The underside of the fondanat then becomes the top and has stayed moist and not dried out during the rolling process. I get no cracks or tears when i do it this way.

HTH

Rylan Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #8 of 12

Thank you all for the replies

I_heart_pastry, I think maybe I'm just doing it wrong. If its not expired then maybe it was just a bad batch. I've heard lots of stories here in cc where they had a bad batch.

I guess I will have to open another bucket which has the same batch number and see how it is.

But if anyone else have the same batch number as mines, hopefully you can tell me whats going on. THANKS.

Rylan Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #9 of 12

Sharon, I'm totally getting a silicone mat now because that I've never done. Do you prefer any brand in particular?

sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:19am
post #10 of 12
Rylan Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:23am
post #11 of 12

THANKS YOU SOO MUCH SHARON. I AM DEFINITELY SAVING FOR THAT!

sugarshack Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:49am
post #12 of 12

YW!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%