My First Wedding Cake

Decorating By md79 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm by kellertur

md79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
md79 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:33am
post #1 of 5

Hi,
please help me with my first big wedding cake. My friends are getting married in may and asked me to make a cake. They do not have any special requests, cake must feed 100 and she is having orange roses and butterflies in her bouquet.
I was thinking about 14-10-6 square, is it enough (sponge cake with whiped cream and strawberries filling)?
What about the design... orange roses are quite classic. Do you have any idea how to make something modern with it? I am going to use fondant.
I am very grateful for any tip or photo...

Thank you!

4 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:04am
post #2 of 5

Hi there, the sizes you are thinking will give you a lot more than 100 servings. That is according to my calculations. So I would go for 12"/ 9" and 6" square cakes, which will give you around 116 servings.

Since you are using whipped cream, you have to store the cakes in the fridge after you put the filling in as well as after covering the cakes with fondant. But I have to say that I have never put my cakes in the fridge with fondant on.

md79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
md79 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 5

I think I need bigger servings, because that filling is much lighter than BC and I suppose people eat more. 14-10-6 is enough than... Thank you bashini.

I always store cakes with fondant on in the fridge (we are not used to make BC cakes here, most often whiped cream based filling) and I have no bad experience. Well in summer it sweats a little, but it is still ok.

Any idea with design, please?? icon_redface.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 5

What size cake slices are you going to serve? The usual wedding cake portion in the U.S. is 1x2x4. Party servings are 1-1/2x2x4.

Wedding servings from Square layers: 6 [18], 10 [50] & 14 [98] for a grand total of 166 servings.

Party servings from Square layers: 6 [12] 10 [30] & 14 [63] for a grand total of 105 servings.

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has a lot of useful info, including an illustrated cutting guide by Indydebi that will insure you have the needed number of servings (and all the same size).

The Wilton links have wedding cake decorating ideas and baking, and assembling help.

Here's a link to CC's yellow/orange wedding cake gallery:
(Although it seems there are a lot of yellow/orange cakes that aren't wedding cakes...)

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=39

HTH

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 5

Good luck~ I hope you post the cake when you are done! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%