Picture Cake?

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm by leann27

lkoenig07 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 14

I wanted to do the cake in the photo attached for a friend's bridal shower. I was wondering how to get the pictures on the cake? Is there any other way to do it besides buying an edible ink printer?
LL

13 replies
kaykakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 14

If you have a Walmart or a bakery near they may do them for you if you are willing to pay their price. Printers are't that expensive I only paid 39.00 for mine the edible ink is what is expensive, but worth it to me. My printer is the Epson Stylus C88 I have had it for a while and love it.

juleebug Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:43am
post #3 of 14

How much would be a reasonable price for something with a bible verse on it like this:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1222522

I have a cake due in April and I'd was going to try to buy an edible sheet rather than do all that lettering IF it was reasonable.

flamingobaker Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 14

I had a bakery do one for me - they charged me $10!

I thought it was ridiculous - but it was a minor emergency and I didn't think of places like Wal-mart or even the grocery store icon_mad.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:08pm
post #5 of 14

You could possibly do an image plaque but use your regular picture (on gumpaste)??? Maybe you could print out the pictures and laminate them and put them on the cake. I have a wedding cake coming up this weekend with the same concept. HTH

cylstrial Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:23pm
post #6 of 14

Wow! That cake is amazing!!! I have never seen anything like it!!

aundrea Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 14

Wow the cake is amazing!
Good luck and post a pic.
I too have a question about edible image,
Can you get any style printer and just use edible ink? Are the edible ink cartridges that interchangable?
I know the printer will just be used for edible images only. I have been wanting to start doing edible image but have so many questions.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by aundrea

Wow the cake is amazing!
Good luck and post a pic.
I too have a question about edible image,
Can you get any style printer and just use edible ink? Are the edible ink cartridges that interchangable?
I know the printer will just be used for edible images only. I have been wanting to start doing edible image but have so many questions.

No you can't just use any printer you have to use specific epson or cannon printers. Checkout s u g a r c r a f t .com they on their homepage will have something to the effects of edible image. Go to that page and there will be another link that you can follow that will show you the list of compatable images.

patticake1956 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #9 of 14

I had a sheet music edible image made for my Piano cake at my local Stop & Shop and it only cost $5.00 each. So, actually any groery store bakery should be able to do that for you. They do photos all the time Picture attached. Good luck icon_wink.gif
LL

juleebug Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:35am
post #10 of 14

Thanks everyone for your help. And, that's a lovely cake, patticake.

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 14

Different stores are going to charge different prices. Back when I worked at Publix (this was 3 years ago now) it was $8 per sheet. Not sure if the price has gone up now or not, I know a LOT of the bakery prices have gone up since I left (some are double!!!!).

cylstrial Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #12 of 14

Does anyone know if they can print sepia (I think those are the brown and white photo's) tones on rice paper?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:52pm
post #13 of 14

Do you mean grocery stores or walmart? I am sure a printer can do it, it just depends on what imaging software you have? I know that there is a company out there that has rice paper that is for the edible printer. I don't think that I can say it here but just do a search for edible ink and the company should show up.

leann27 Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 14

I am doing a cake with a photo on it for my sister's baby shower, I went to Jay-C store and had thier bakery print it for me and they charged me $5.00 for it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%