Anyone Heard About The Michael's Rewards Program?

Decorating By djs328 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm by luvsfreebies72

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:40am
post #1 of 21

Got this email from Michael's...costs $24.99 annually. Below is info:

* 40% off any one regular price item every time you shop
* 20 points for every $1 you spend at Michaels once you reach 2000 points we'll automatically send you a $10 Michaels Gift Card
* 60% off custom framing all year long
* An exclusive membership card
* One full year of membership

Here's How It Works:

* Save on all the things you love join MichaelsRewards for only $24.99 a year.
* Save every time you shop use your card and get 40% off any one regular price item, earn points and save 60% on custom framing.
* Stay updated track your points online.
* Get rewarded earn 2000 points and get a $10 Michaels Gift Card
* Continue shopping with your card to get your discounts and earn points.

Is anyone a member? Is it worth it?

Just curious...

20 replies
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:35am
post #2 of 21

This is the first time I've heard of this but I I personally wouldn't get it unless I shopped there a lot and could not get any coupons. I don't frequent Michaels as much as I used too (back when I first started the Wilton courses) but when I do go I usually have the coupon with me. I hardy ever use coupons for anything else but at Michaels it's almost a must for me icon_lol.gif

If you have an AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, Joanne's or another craft store around your area than usually Michaels will accept their competitors coupons. You can usually find these on-line (I usually print off AC Moore's coupon before going to Michaels)

For the points system it works out that they will give you $10 for every$100 spent.

Although a card would make it more convenient than having to make sure I had a coupon with me icon_smile.gif. I think I'd end up spending a lot more there though with the card, I'd probably go just to see what they have and end up walking out with something I don't need.....

Just my 2cents icon_smile.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 21

I've heard rumors that this will eventually replace the online ad, and possibly the Sunday % off coupon due to abuses of it (like is done here where a screen shot being posted and then it being downloaded 200 times and printed out each time 3 or 4 times to use.).

Just think we are only one site and this is happening all across the USA for all hobby sites that Michael's carries product for.

If you think about it it's a smart business decision on their part especially if they stop with the online/Sunday ads.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 21

Wow - I'd definitely join that! Mostly so I don't have to worry about finding a coupon when I needed something!

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #5 of 21

I've signed up at Michaels website to receive their weekly coupon and the coupon does say that you can use one per day. I know I have had some weeks where I've used it more than once.

If they do replace it with this new card, I guess I'll have to sign up for it. Michaels and Joann are about the only places we have in this area for anything cake related, and I do my darndest not to pay full price for anything in those places.

lisadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisadesigns Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 21

I also got the same email, except it's only $19.99. Wonder why the price difference?

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:22pm
post #7 of 21

well for 24.99 they will definitely not be receiving my business and I will only shop there when theres a sale on something I need.
Thats a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a 'rewards' program.

If they implement that and do away with the monthly coupons, I will have to find somewhere else to get my stuff.

Naturepixie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naturepixie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:04am
post #8 of 21

I haven't heard about this yet. I was getting the weekly emails and coupons from Michael's sent to me email. I still get the emails but the coupons have quit coming. If it's a reward program why do we have to pay for it? I think they should just give it to us. icon_lol.gif

chelleb1974 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 21

I guess I'm in the minority here, lol. I'd have no problems paying $25/yr for this. 40% off one item EVERY time I shop, and no worrying about finding a coupon - that'd be fantastic. The savings would far outweigh the $25 IMHO.

chelleb1974 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 21

If you log into or create a MyMichaels account, there should be a link for the Michael's Reward program. I just signed up this morning icon_biggrin.gif

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 21

I agree. If you shop at Michae's frequently (which I do being as it and AC Moore are the only places like that around here, no cake supply stores AT ALL!) the savings from the coupons would pay for the membership fee in no time.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:37am
post #12 of 21

Just saw this today and my email said the membership fee for one yr is 4.99!! I chose not to as I thought that too much as I don't shop there that much but after seeing how much others are being charged I may just do it!!

xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:10am
post #13 of 21

It's very strange that everyone's getting different prices for the membership. I didn't get the offer at all but went to see if I could find out why the differences in price. So far it looks like the different prices offer different rewards. The various boards I've seen this on now show that these are the prices that Michael's is asking for their program:

$24.99
$19.99
$9.99
$4.99
FREE

So if you do get it make sure you guys no what yours offers. Some said there offer said 40%, others said 20% some said 10%....

xstitcher Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #14 of 21

I also read somewhere that they are just testing to see what the consumers are willing to pay.... who knows what their thinking.

starra328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:33am
post #16 of 21

here is what the website say

Becoming a Member

Who is eligible to join?
Michaels has selected a small number of customers to participate in a customer loyalty program test. If you received an invitation from Michaels by email, you are eligible

Idid not receive an invitation email but why cant I join?
Michaels is conducting a test with a small number of customers. The program is currently not able to support all Michaels shoppers who wish to join. Depending on the results of the test, a permanent program may be rolled out at a later date.

Membership

What are the benefits of being a member?
Because this is a test, membership benefits vary. If you are a member of the customer loyalty test and have questions about the program, please log on to your account at Michaels.com/rewards and enter the member number located on the front of your card or your My Michaels credentials to access additional account information.

Currently, we are conducting a test that is being offered to a limited number of customers by invitation only. The customer selection process is now closed and the invitation emails have been distributed. We are unable to add customers to the distribution list at this time. Based on the results of the test, a permanent program may be rolled out at a later date to all customers who would like to join. Additional information will become available at that time. For more details about the test, please review the FAQs and the Program Announcement posted in this section.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

* 20 points for every $1 you spend at Michaels once you reach 2000 points we'll automatically send you a $10 Michaels Gift Card

Here's How It Works:

* Save every time you shop use your card and get 40% off any one regular price item, earn points and save 60% on custom framing.

Just curious...

I recieved the exact same email on the 28th of March - the offer expires today....3/31 - they only gave me 4 days to respond, doesn't give you much time to think about it!! I wish mine was only $4.99!!!!

It may be worth it for me. I spend a lot there! Guess I better decide quick!

dukebrees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dukebrees Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:45pm
post #18 of 21

I haven't received that email yet, and I get emails every week from them. You all are right, the price difference must be a test. The good thing is that the $4.99 may end up being the most popular and they will offer us all that price. I don't know about everyone else but I get a coupon every week in my email for 40% off one item, and the last two have been 50% off. Also when I went to purchase something this week, my receipt had a 50% coupon on it. It's been great, but it makes me wonder how they are doing as a company.

BCo Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by djs328

Here's How It Works:

Just curious...

I recieved the exact same email on the 28th of March - the offer expires today....3/31 - they only gave me 4 days to respond, doesn't give you much time to think about it!! I wish mine was only $4.99!!!!

It may be worth it for me. I spend a lot there! Guess I better decide quick!

BCo Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:50pm
post #20 of 21

don't know why that posted twice!! sorry!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #21 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebrees

I haven't received that email yet, and I get emails every week from them. You all are right, the price difference must be a test. The good thing is that the $4.99 may end up being the most popular and they will offer us all that price. I don't know about everyone else but I get a coupon every week in my email for 40% off one item, and the last two have been 50% off. Also when I went to purchase something this week, my receipt had a 50% coupon on it. It's been great, but it makes me wonder how they are doing as a company.

I, too, receive all their emails & coupons and did not get an e-mail about this program. No micheal's love for me icon_lol.gif I recently read an article on yahoo news that listed top national companies that are in financial trouble and Michael's was on the list

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%