Stop My Bc From Coming Off My Cake????

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm by solascakes

janebrophy Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 16

Ok, bit of a dumb question, but everytime I disassemble one of my stacked cakes, the buttercream sticks to the cardboard of the upper cake?!?! I know there's gotta be an easy solution to this, but am not sure what it is?! Wax paper??
The BC I use doesn't crust...is that my problem?

15 replies
JanH Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #2 of 16

I've read that sprinkling powdered sugar or shredded coconut where the cakeboard rests will alleviate sticking.

Or you can just increase the length of the dowels ever so slightly, so the cakesboards are raised a hair above the frosting.

HTH

janebrophy Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #3 of 16

Duh! Raising the dowels would really help! And, for the cake I'm doing this weekend, there will be ribbon around the base, so noone would be able to see it at all.....awesome!! Thanks for the help!

prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:23am
post #4 of 16

I use cake crumbs under the cake boards to prevent the sticking.

janebrophy Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:08am
post #5 of 16

That's another good one! Thanks!!

kakeladi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:08pm
post #6 of 16

Be careful with using ground nuts of coconut.......many people are allergic to them.
Any dry crumbs finely crushed - cake, cornflakes, rice cereal, cookie, graham cracker etc, etc will work fine.

janebrophy Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:21pm
post #7 of 16

Good to know, actually I can't keep coconut in my house as my son is allergic to peanuts...who knew coconut would be packaged in the same facility??

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:42pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Duh! Raising the dowels would really help! And, for the cake I'm doing this weekend, there will be ribbon around the base, so noone would be able to see it at all.....awesome!! Thanks for the help!

Be careful in raising your dowels. Raising dowels can make an unstable surface for your cake, specialy when moving it. The fact that the board stick to the cake is actually not a bad thing. It tells you that the cake has a surface to grab on too, making your cake a little more stable, specially when you moving it.

I put wax paper on both sides of the cardboard. I think that if you feel too uncomfortable about the cake getting messed when you unstack it, you can have some icing with you to fix it.

Edna

SeriousCakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #9 of 16

I do the same thing as Edna and I never have a problem with frosting sticking thumbs_up.gif

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

I do the same thing as Edna and I never have a problem with frosting sticking thumbs_up.gif

That's why you are so good!... thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif I love serious cakes!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janebrophy Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 16

Awesome! I'll go with the wax paper! I won't be around when this one is cut, so I'll sleep better knowing it's not going to be a mess! icon_smile.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:35pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

That's why you are so good!... thumbs_up.gificon_razz.gif I love serious cakes!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

*hugz* Right back at ya lady!!!

bostonterrierlady Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:39pm
post #13 of 16

I have wraped my cake boards with glad press and seal.

tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:03pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonterrierlady

I have wraped my cake boards with glad press and seal.

detective.gif Interesting!...Sounds good too..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

janebrophy Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:36am
post #15 of 16

That is a good idea! I've been thinking about wrapping them like a gift with wax paper, but that would be much easier...Thanks everyone!

BTW - I'll be assembling this cake at the venue, so really I guess I could leave my dowels just a bit high....

All these options!!! LOL!!!

solascakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #16 of 16

I think wax paper works best,so you don't have problems with allergies .I'll definitely go the wax paper route.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%