Cake Spackle Under Fondant

Decorating By PennySue Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm by Ladyfish74

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 11

I just tried Toba's cake spackle on my cake and I love how it worked. I am wondering if anyone has used it as icing under fondant. It smoothes so nicely and makes such sharp edges.
Thanks!

10 replies
cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 11

I'm going to give you a bump as I am no expert on this. I have tried it once under fondant and it worked fine for me.

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks. I can't see why it would not work, unless there is something I'm just not thinking of.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:49am
post #4 of 11

Ooh that sounds interesting! What exactly is the cake spackle?

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 11

i have the same question as CakeMommy3...

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:29am
post #6 of 11

cake spackle is where you mix your cake crumbs with the icing that goes under the final icing coat or the fondant.

There was an earlier thread where it was discussed and I was trying to find it for you. You can google it also and there are a few sites that explain it and give directions for how to do it.

I don't do cakes on a daily basis; the one time I did try it, it was a very humid day and it worked great.

majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:43am
post #7 of 11

I don't use it as icing alone, but it is wonderful for 3D cakes (without pan).
Cut to much from your cake? Put cake spackle there. Need small detail - again, cake spackle.
If you get the right consistency, it works like modeling clay. Form your details, let it crust or firm up in fridge and cover with fondant / modeling paste as usual.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:47am
post #8 of 11

Is THAT what it is called? I've used it alot on my carved cakes. I just didn't know what it was called...how funny!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:48am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

and makes such sharp edges.
Thanks!

Ohhhhhhhh icon_surprised.gif , I am so interested it this! Hope you get lots of helpful comments! Going to Google now!

edited to ad: Yep, she shows using spackle under fondant...good luck, happy caking. I'm going to try for sharper corners - okay SHARP icon_confused.gif corners.

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:52am
post #10 of 11

Cake spackle is wonderful for filling in those unwanted dips and gaps that can be worrisome and annoying on a cake. I've never used it to build up a "detail", sounds very interesting. I'll have to give it a try. And, sharp edges, that would be wonderful.

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:24pm
post #11 of 11

Here's the recipe in case you can't find it. I love this stuff.

3 to 4 cups of cake crumbs
1/2 to 3/4 cup of decorators buttercream-I use the Wilton buttercream
1/4 fruit curd or jam or preserves--not jelly

I use the mixer or food processor to blend this all together until it makes a thick paste with no large pieces of cake left.

If you are filling the cake with a curd, use some of that but if you aren't, use a jam that is compatible with what you're doing--like using strawberry jam if you are filling with strawberry cream cheese, or using apricot or peach if you can't match the filling or have no filling. Apricot and peach jam don't have a strong taste and pretty much go with everything. Fig jam works well too because it's mild and extra sticky but you can't always find it at the store.

Once you use this stuff, you'll be hooked. It's great for all kinds of sculpting and fixing boo-boos. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%