Please Help Me With Guitar Cake...

Decorating By dmhart Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 12:13am by dmhart

dmhart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmhart Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 7

I have to make a guitar cake and I need help in the design. I have looked through the forum and have found several with this topic but I don't have all my questions answered. What size sheet cake do I need to use? What do I use to do the neck of the guitar with and how? Does anyone have any tips I could use?

I guess I am just confused. Any help at all would be appreciated. Thanks Debbie

6 replies
jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,
Mine are not professional by any means, but I use a 11x15 pan. I cut a template and make it as wide as I can reserving the long 15 inch side for the neck...piece it all together on a very long board.
Hope this helps some!
Laura

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 7

I just sold one. It's in my photos. I cut a 12x18 double layer, but you can use a 9x13 single or double if you want to go smaller. Mine was so big that I had to use a piece of plywood instead of a cake board. My neck was made using foam core. I printed out a huge template and used that as a pattern to cut the cake. I covered mine with fondant, but you can use BC if you prefer. I used a silver cording to make the strings.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 7

I have never made a guitar cake, but I did find a site that has pictures of them, and how to make them. The site is coolestbirthdaycakes.com.
I hope this helps you!

dmhart Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you all, that does help. I was think of using a block of plywood cut to size covered in fondant for the neck. I gave my DH the measurements to cut it for me. Do you think that would work? I would have to use something under it for support. I saw this pic here on CC
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1205568
What used for the neck support?

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 7

Oh - I forgot to mention that I did cut a straw dowel to size and covered it in black fondant and hot glued it to the board for support.

dmhart Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Oh - I forgot to mention that I did cut a straw dowel to size and covered it in black fondant and hot glued it to the board for support.

That solves my support problem!!! icon_cool.gif Thanks for that tip, I now have support!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%