Which Fondant Is Easier To Work With?

Decorating By topaz176 Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 2:28am by funtasticake

topaz176 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 32

I never work with fondant before and I would like to know which one you find is easier to start with.

I saw various recipes like marshmallow fondant, satin ice fondant,
cream cheese base fondant.

31 replies
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:51am
post #2 of 32

I prefer Satin Ice. It's expensive, but find it easy to work with and tastes great. Plus, I make my cakes, icing, and filling from scratch, so it's nice to have one high-quality item that I don't have to make!

CakeMommy3 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:10am
post #3 of 32

I haven't used any store bought ones except for wilton (yucky). I have made various recipes of regular fondant and marshmallow fondant, and Michele Foster Fondant is by far my favorite! You can search in recipes and find it. It's super simple to make, and very inexpensive.

chilz822 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:19am
post #4 of 32

Michele Foster's... hands down.

too_nice_to_slice Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 32

I just tried Michele Foster's for the first time today, and I am in LOVE!! It's so much easier to work with than MMF, and tastes awesome. I wish I'd tried it sooner. There are seriously not words to describe my feelings towards this recipe. lol

chilz822 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 32

DOUBLE DITTO!
icon_biggrin.gif

kiraboo Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 32

I'm just starting out with fondant myself and have only used Satin Ice. Tastes pretty good and I think easy to work with, but who knows- I'm such a newbie! lol

Anyway, I'm excited to try and make my own also- does anybody know how long Michele Foster's fondant lasts? I assume you have to refrigerate it since it has milk? how about MMF? I love how Satin Ice can just sit there in its little air-tight tub on the pantry shelf... but then again, that worries me. icon_razz.gif

niccicola Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:40pm
post #8 of 32

Satin Ice is great but I can't afford Satin Ice all the time. I've got a 20 lb tub of chocolate and will be purchasing the Ivory come August, but everything else is MMF. I've heard people talk about how it's hard to work with, but I guess I'm used to it? I like it.

Sweet_Guys Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #9 of 32

We tried Michele Fosters and just didn't like the taste nor how it works in our humidity...We use Satin Ice, Pettinice, and Fondarific.

Paul & Peter

i_heart_pastry Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:21am
post #10 of 32

So I guess it all boils down to personal preference... I myself am a Satin Ice girl!!

Bec

chilz822 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #11 of 32

I'm a recent convert from MMF to Michele's. You do not have to store it in the fridge, the milk is preserved by the cooking and the sugar according to Michele. I store it on the counter, wrapped in plastic and inside a ziploc, and it's beautiful.

Frankyola Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #12 of 32

Once I use Michele Foster's I fell in love with it!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif , It change mi life thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifI LOOOOOOOOVE IT!!!!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

gerripje Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:21am
post #13 of 32

Michele Foster for me too. The only brand I've tried was Wilton and made MMF a few times. I will stick Michele Foster's recipe, love, love, love it!!

MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:29am
post #14 of 32

I am completely in love with my MMF recipe (includes salt, glycerine, and LoRann butter flavor). It is so easy to work with and tastes amazing.

funtasticake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:11pm
post #15 of 32

can you pls. send me the recipe for michele fondant.i've done mmf it is very sticky but it has nice flavor. my only thing against its very hard to make figure and flowers with it.it seem to be softer..i just made the flavor mmf. i melted the rainbow mmf. and i end up with an orange flavor and orange color fondant..did not have to worry coloring it... icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif [/u][/i][/b]

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:20pm
post #16 of 32

She just posted an updated version in the recipe section.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

sportsmom005 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:21pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

I am completely in love with my MMF recipe (includes salt, glycerine, and LoRann butter flavor). It is so easy to work with and tastes amazing.

Is your fondant recipe in the Google doc?

tx_cupcake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:24pm
post #18 of 32

I am also a recent convert from MMF to Michele Foster's recipe (although, I may have to try MacsMom's version of MMF before I make my final verdict icon_wink.gif ). My personal preference is for homemade fondant in general, just because I haven't found a pre-made fondant that doesn't leave me with a chemical aftertaste.

(This is also coming from someone who can't use any kind of artificial sweetener because I swear I can taste the chemicals!)

aggiechef Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #19 of 32

I'm a fan of Choco-pan fondant myself. I like that it doesn't dry rock hard. Not good for some things, I know, but it's great for covering a cake. It also has a mild white chocolate flavor which I love.

I haven't tried making homemade fondant yet, but I'm going to. Sounds like I need to try MMF and Michele Foster's recipes to see which I like better. Just another excuse to bake somemore and fatten up my coworkers. icon_smile.gif

seagoat Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:34pm
post #20 of 32

txcupcake, that's my problem also...the chemical taste. I CANNOT use bettercreme...no matter how much flavoring...I can still taste chemical.

I usually use MMF but have recently tried the European fondant. It worked out fine, but it was just for flowers.

pattigunter Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:40pm
post #21 of 32

My favorite is FondX.

Frankyola Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:39pm
post #22 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtasticake

can you pls. send me the recipe for michele fondant.i've done mmf it is very sticky but it has nice flavor. my only thing against its very hard to make figure and flowers with it.it seem to be softer..i just made the flavor mmf. i melted the rainbow mmf. and i end up with an orange flavor and orange color fondant..did not have to worry coloring it... icon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif [/u][/i][/b]

Here you go thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

chilz822 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:28pm
post #23 of 32

Here's Michele's new updated recipe, great additions and notes:
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

sgauta Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:06pm
post #24 of 32

I'm going to have to try the Michele Foster recipe! I started out using Wilton (blech!) and have transitioned to the MMF. I haven't had any problems with it, I find it easier to work with than the boxed kind. Tastes WAY better and costs WAY less too! I'm intrigued by the Michele Foster suggestions though, I'll have to check it out.

Sarah

MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:38pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtasticake

Hmmm, you may be softening it too much in the microwave. Or the recipe you use is different from the 16oz MMs and 2 lbs PS.

I just made Kai-Lan and sushi out of MMF with no problem at all (in my photos).

chikie Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #26 of 32

I LOVE Michelle's recipe, but I like to use MMF for bows and stuff like that.

PinkZiab Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #27 of 32

I use Satin Ice exclusively. On the rare occasion I have to make it I use a recipe from Colette Peters that was included in my culinary school text--it performs perfectly and I've never had to make any adjustments to it, but I still prefer Satin Ice. Making everything from scratch, this is my one "shortcut," but it's so high quality, that I really don't consider it a shortcut at all.

ssunshine564 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:06pm
post #28 of 32

Satin Ice for me. thumbs_up.gif

MacsMom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:29pm
post #29 of 32

I find SI to dry too fast, too hard, too matte, and it tears more than MMF. And the smell reminds me a little of PlayDoh.

Fondarific's buttercream flavor is the best tasting store bought fondant, and it is awesome for covering tiers, but too soft to decorate with. I use it when I need black to cover tiers.

hanacakes Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #30 of 32

I just ordered some fondarific and this will be my first time trying it. I hope it works well but from the previous comment it sounds like it will taste good. I will remember its not good for decorations...=)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%