What Do You Paint With?

Decorating By pebblez87 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:50am by tracey1970

pebblez87 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #1 of 5

everytime ive tried painting it came out terribly wrong it bleed and i couldnt get it to work i was using food color and lemon ext, so any advice would be greatly appreciated

4 replies
cakedoll Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

I love handpainting cakes and gumpaste figures. I use vodka and either Wilton or Americana food colors and haven't had a problem (yet).

I couldn't tell you what you are doing wrong as I just keep mixing until it works right for me, but this should give you a bump until someone more knowledgable comes along.

pebblez87 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #3 of 5

yeah i have americolor too , do you let the figures and whatnot dry? cuz everytime i would paint they would be fairly fresh so maybe it absorbed? do u make it thick or thin? what ratio?

cakedoll Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:34am
post #4 of 5

On figures, I always wait until they are dry. Whether you have to do this or not, I couldn't tell you. I've never tried to paint on one that isn't. They are just easier for me to handle if they are dry to begin with.

The ratios are something I experiment with until it works right. I know that's not much help. If there is too much vodka, it runs and bleeds. What I generally do is start with tiny amounts of vodka and keep adding until the consistency is right for the piece I'm working on.

The frog and fairy cake in my photos is one that is entirely handpainted except for the flowers. For the figures it was thicker; for the tree trunk, the green land, and the creek, it was a little thicker than a watercolor consistency so I could blend the colors easily.

I hope this helps you a bit.

tracey1970 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

My Transformers cake is painted fondant. It's about 1/4" thick. I used gel colours mixe with vodka - silver lustre dust mixed with vodka for the "chrome" on the figure. I did the detail work with a black edible marker as I couldn't get a paint line that thin. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%