Gp Flowers Makers: Why Cut Tape?

Decorating By acookieobsession Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:31am by acookieobsession

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 5

I have been watching the N Lodge hydrangea dvd and I think it is great. i made some that looked pretty ok for a first try.

However, he says to cut the flower tape into 3 peices with the handy little cutter. i just went to buy one and I found them from $50-$60! icon_eek.gif

So I guess I would like to know WHY i need it before I whip out the plastic. i am sure it is time consuming and nearly imposiible to do by hand, but $50?

Thanks so much for your help!

Julia

4 replies
acookieobsession Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 5

Hmm, I just found a jem one from global sugar art at $10. Still, there is the WHY though! >)

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 5

The floral tape is cut into 1/2, 1/3, or 1/4 widths to cut down on the bulk of the stem of the flower and to make the wrapping wire easier and neater. You'll notice that when you're told to thin wires, you wrap with "thinner" tape.

I bought a tape cutter and thought I'd probably wasted my money, but truth is, I love it. It's so much easier and neater than other methods (you can cut 1/2 pretty well with an exacto knife, but after that, I just mangle the tape).

HTH
Rae

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #4 of 5

I have the little jem $10 one its yellow and cuts very nicely.

acookieobsession Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #5 of 5

Thank you ladies! I will order the $10 one I think for starters. I am still in the learning process of most flowers so with all the cutters and veiners, and other equip I better stick with the cheaper one for now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%