Freezing Dough?

Baking By servingzero Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 1:23am by cookiemookie

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 10

Hi cookie gurus,
I was wondering if anyone has frozen unbaked cookie dough to have on hand? I do mostly cakes (unless I have a craving for cookies, or it's a holiday) and I've seen some cute cakes with cookie accents. It doesn't seem practical to make a whole batch of cookies just so you can get the 5 or 6 pieces you want to use on a cake, you know?
Anyway, just wondering if anyone has done this, or had any luck with it? I guess you could just do a bunch of popular shapes to freeze undecorated and decorate them later, but again, that's not practical if you're doing cookie shapes for cakes with uncommon themes. (I've rarely had an order with the same theme... unless it's hockey.)

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:29pm
post #2 of 10

I just used some gingerbread people dough that I made in December for the holidays. I just tightly wrapped it in saran wrap and then placed it in a freezer bag. Tasted great. I believe you can freeze most kids of cookie dough.

HTH

Delia

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 10

So long as you wrap it well, cookie dough can be frozen. I make triple batches of chocolate chip cookies, cook what I need and freeze the rest in logs. That way, you can pull a log out of the freezer, slice it up and put the cookies inthe oven frozen. Works great!

If you're talking about NFSC, I'm not sure if you would want to roll it before freezing as it may dry out. But in a ball, I don't see why not!

HTH icon_smile.gif

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:53pm
post #4 of 10

I only bake mine from a frozen state, never fresh. I mix them up, chill, roll and cut out and freeze between sheets of parchment or wax paper. I know you can also freeze the sheets of rolled out dough as long as you wrap them up or have them in an airtight dish. HTH!

KookieKris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KookieKris Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 10

I do a lot of cookies and most of the time I use frozen dough.
It makes life a lot easier sometimes! thumbs_up.gif

CareyI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CareyI Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:10pm
post #6 of 10

I almost always freeze. It works great. I make double batches of lets say chocolate chip....bake some now.... ball the rest and freeze. Then if we want a few cookies after dinner I pull out just how many we want and bake them up. Works great for after shool snaks too....warm cookies and milk...AHHHHH

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 10

I ALWAYS have dough in the freezer.(NFSC and other types except meringues)

I usually take a day and just make dough to have in the freezer. I usually do 4 batches at a time(made separately cause my mixer can only handle one at a time)

When I want to make some cookies or just practice I just go get a bag from the freezer and thaw in the fridge.

I prefer doing it this way simply because of the mess factor. I rather make one big one than cleaning all kinds of little ones. Plus if I need to make cookies, I know I have dough on hand.

I could never get through Christmas if I didn't do it this way icon_biggrin.gif

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 10

Fantastic! Thanks everyone!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:17am
post #9 of 10

And, if you use royal icing, you can also freeze that. Makes SUCH a difference having RI ready to use. I freeze leftovers in ziploc bags - it doesn't really set hard and you can massage it to life in a couple of minutes and it's ready to go! Amazing.

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #10 of 10

I'm going to have to try that Tubbs! (freezing royal)

Plus all I'd have to do is snip a corner off to fill my squeeze bottle! Brillant!!

Thanks for that tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%