White Cake,red Filling, Fondant Question

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 1:27am by indydebi

pipe-dreams Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a white cake with strawberry filling, covered in white fondant for a wedding. I know I have to make a dam so the filling doesn't come out of the sides. Should I still just do a crumbcoat of bc before the fondant layer, or use more buttercream?

I generally work a little at a time on cakes, b/c I'm a stay at home mom. I have never worked with fillings besides bc.
I usually stack cakes on Wed, ice on Thurs, and decorate on Fri(for Sat delivery). So will this still work? How long can the fillings stay out of the fridge without going bad? Do I have to refridgerate in between, or upon set-up at the event?

Thanks so much for any advise!!

7 replies
bashini Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, I would use a bit more than a crumbcoat. icon_smile.gif

Sorry I can't give any answer to your other questions as I never used home made filllings.

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 8

If you use a good quality jam you will not need to frig the cake.
I prefer to use a good coating of b'cream......more than a crumb coat but not a thick as a usual finish coating.

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 8

is it a homeade filling or a sleeve filling?

pipe-dreams Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #5 of 8

I'm not sure which filling yet..I ordered a sleeve and am waiting for it to arrive. I was going to taste it first to see if it was good or not. If it's good, I'll probably use that! Is there a difference??

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:12am
post #6 of 8

I use sleeve fillings and I never refrigerate my cakes. The red raspberry filling is my biggest seller with brides. Unopened, they have a shelf life of 6 months.

pipe-dreams Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:18am
post #7 of 8

Awesome..that makes it much easier for me! Deb...which brand do you prefer? I ordered some by Henry and Henry..have you ever tried theirs?

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:27am
post #8 of 8

I use whatever my local cake supply store has on hand. I know one sleeve is Dawn brand. I also know she gets a lot of stuff from Country Kitchen in Ft. Wayne (IND), and you can order online from them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%