Icing Suggestions For A Peanut Butter Cut Out Cooke?

Baking By giland Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm by GeminiRJ

giland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giland Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 10

I love making holiday themed cutout cookies and I also love trying new recipes. Just saw a new recipe posted for a peanut butter cut out cookie. I thought I would like to try it out for some Easter cookies, but I still want to decorate my bunnies to be white with pink ears. I usually use Antonia's icing but not sure how royal icing would work with the peanut butter. Any other decorating icing recipes that you would recommend using with peanut butter cookies to compliment the peanut butter flavor and not over power it?

9 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 10

It's gotta be chocolate of course!!!

Maybe a white chocolate icing if you still want to decorate?

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:58am
post #3 of 10

The Easter egg cookies I posted last week were peanut butter. I used plain old glace icing: powdered sugar, corn syrup, skim milk, brite white food color. The icing worked just fine with the peanut butter. (I thought about adding mini-chocolate chips to the recipe to add even more flaor, but it was the first time trying the recipe. I had to see how it turned out first.)

giland Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks so much GeminiRJ; it was your posted recipe that I was hoping to try for the peanut butter cookies. I will definitely give a glace a try. Your cookies are beautiful. I can't wait to try the recipe. I have done a few glaces before, has anyone used a flavored creamer instead of milk or cream? In keeping with the suggestion above, I thought the flavor might compliment the peanut butter. I thought for some of the non-white iced cookies, I might try to use some white chocolate raspberry creamer in place of the milk. Thoughts?

GeminiRJ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:43am
post #5 of 10

I know other people have used the flavored creamers, and liked the results. I've never tried them, but I would think they'd be pretty tasty. And I thought of another flavor that works great with peanut butter....banana.

Also, I used the peanut butter roll-out recipe and made some flowers and butterflies. The butterflies weren't too bad to cut and transfer, but the flowers were a major pain! The dough is so soft, it distorts easily when you have to pick up the shapes. Just a heads up....use simple shapes for less frustration when using this recipe!

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #6 of 10

Michele Foster Fondant in the white chocolate or chocolate variation!

mis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mis Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 10

I use a royal icing on peanut butter roll out cookies and it tastes fine. As GeminiRJ stated, it is a soft dough. I'm not sure which recipe she used but the one I use I have to almost freeze the cut outs before I move them onto a cookie sheet or otherwise they will distort.

giland Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks for the warnings about the dough. I was thinking of trying it with my son but when I read the warnings I switched to my standby cream cheese roll out dough for the cookies I made with him (that one is perfect for children) and I will save the peanut butter cookies to one night this weekend when I don't have any "helpers." I am assuming since you both go through the extra steps to deal with the soft dough that the end result , in terms of flavor, is worth the extra steps. I really like the idea of a peanut butter roll out cookie.

giland Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:27am
post #9 of 10

I finally made GeminiRJ's posted recipe for the peanut butter cookies and I am so glad I did. They taste wonderful. The dough is REALLY soft. I wanted to make spring flowers but heeded the advice and just used a scalloped cutter that I could turn into a simple flower. I used a trick I read somewhere before and had great success. I have flat cookie sheets without a lip. I put the parchment paper on the cookie sheets and then rolled the dough right on the parchment paper. I cut out the cookies and just peeled away the excess. That way I did not have to pick up my cookies at all so they did not distort. I have not tried icing them yet but I am going to try a few different icings and see what friends and family thinks works best. I will post again with my thoughts on the icing pairings. Thanks for all the advice!

GeminiRJ Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 4:05pm
post #10 of 10

So glad you tried the recipe! I froze the flowers and butterflies I baked earlier in the week, and hope to get them iced this weekend. My MIL seemed kinda peeved that I didn't send her any of the first batch, so I'll need to get some of these to her. Who knew she liked peanut butter cookies? She's always just asked for the regular sugar cookies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%