nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 7

OK! Dumb question! What is WASC? icon_redface.gif

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 7

White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe icon_smile.gif Here is the *original* version of it.

Read thru the whole recipe before you start. Note the extra info at the end. Enjoy your baking!

The *original* WASC cake recipe by kakeladi

1 box cake mix (I prefer Betty Crocker) *see notes at end
1 cup flour*
1 cup granulated sugar
generous dash of salt

1 cup sour cream*
1 cup water *
3 whole eggs
1 tablespoon flavoring*
In bowl mix together dry ingredients. It's helpful if you use a wire whisk, but optional. It's important w/choco cake not so much for other flavors.
In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients. Add about 1/2 of the dry ingredients and blend together, then add the rest of the dry ingredients & blend. Mix for 2 minutes. Some tell me they just dump all ingredients into the bowl together. Some tell me they sift all dry ingredients together.
Pour into prepared pans * and bake as usual.

*NOTES: any cake flavor can be used. Match the flavoring to the cake flavor such use lemon/almond mix for lemon cake; strawberry/almond for a strawberry cake etc, etc. For most flavors you can use a mixture of vanilla, butter, and almond which is what I do most of the time.
You can use milk or cream for the liquid.
This recipe is based on mixing in a kitchenaid mixer. I use position #1 to stir it, then #4 to mix the batter.
Most of the time I forget to add the salticon_smile.gif
On rare occasions I have used other brands of mix.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1 1/2 mixes and is perfect for a 10" sq OR 9x13 OR one 8" & two 6" round;OR two 8"rounds OR a 12" round; and other combinations of pans.
I prefer to bake at 300 degrees for about 20-30 minutes (depending on size of cake) then turn oven up to 325 for about an equal time. If cake has pulled away from sides it is overbaked. After cooling, the top might be a bit sticky.
Some people have told me they use plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
I've always used all purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but then the amount is less - maybe 3/4 cup - not sure.

The flavoring I most often use is this mixture:
1 part vanilla extract
1/2 part butter flavoring
1/4 part almond flavoring

A "Part" is any measure be it teaspoon; tablespoon; cup or quart Smile Since I made many wedding cakes I usually mixed it up by the cup about once a monthicon_smile.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 7

White Almond Sour Cream, a popular doctored cake mix recipe. Which can be modified by using any flavor cake mix and complementary flavorings to create any flavor you'd like. icon_smile.gif

Decoding CC acronyms:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926-.html

Everything you need to know to bake, assemble and decorate tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above thread has popular CC recipes for: doctored cake mix (WASC), crusting American b/c's using either Crisco or hi-ratio shortening, and fondant. And so much more!

Additional chocolate WASC variation by Cakepro:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

HTH

P.S. Edited to add: Boy, this was fun - 3 responses at exactly the same time! icon_smile.gif

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 7

White almond sour cream cake. Search for it in recipes it is awesome!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

It also stands for Wonderful, Amazing, Scrumptious Cake. LOL

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 7

Hey, Kakeladi, in your directions, you say "In mixer bowl place next 3 ingredients." but there are 4 wet ingredients: water, sour cream, eggs, and flavoring. I assume you mean to add the wet all together at the same time?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 7

OOOPPPPPSSSSS - you're righticon_smile.gif Sorry about that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%