Thinking Of Buying A Convection Oven - Help

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm by ccr03

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 7

So I'm thinking of buying a 30" Jenn Air White Glass Convection Double Wall Oven.

My question - what is the difference between a convection oven and conventional oven? obviously I want it all for baking and on this one the top oven is convection and the bottom is conventional. the price is good, but if I can't use it all for baking it wouldn't be worth it.

THANKS!!!

6 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 7

Convection ovens are more efficient since they circulate the hot air using fans. You will have to adjust your temperatures and cooking times when making the switch to baking in a convection oven (and vice versa).

here a link with more info:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-convection-oven.htm

ccr03 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 7

Cool thanks!

Do you have any experience with them? Like is it easy to adjust to and stuff?

This may all sound like dumb questions, but I'm kind-of feeling dumb aobut it right now icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 7

Generally, you reduce a standard recipe by about 25 degrees and, the cooking time is generally reduced by about 25% or so, but again all that will vary by recipe. Almost all of the recipes I have were written for convection ovens (including those I developed myself), but the 25 degree rule has generally worked well for me when I've had to work with other recipes. It will take a small amount of trial and error when you first get it, but it's really not complicated at all!

ccr03 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 7

cool, cool, cool - thanks! On to get some more research!!! icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:12am
post #6 of 7

The newer models of residential convection ovens make the temperature adjustment for you. I have a Frigidaire double oven with convection/conventional in both and if I set the temp to convection 350 it automatically adjusts the temp down and it displays the revised temp. HTH

ccr03 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 7

Okay, so know a commercial oven has come up for like the same price! And it's a blodgett. I'm looking, I'm looking!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%