Applying Luster Dust

Decorating By GayeG Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm by GayeG

GayeG Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:14pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone,
I need to cover about 2-300 small balls of fondant with Luster Dust.
Would the best way to do this be by brushing by hand icon_eek.gif *whew* icon_eek.gif thats alot!! or can I liquify it with my alcohol then just roll them around in it?
If so, should I just use a small about in a container and several balls .. then leave them in that container to dry? Or remove them all and put them on wax paper or something to dry??
Thanx in advance for any help you can give me!!
~*~ Gaye

7 replies
JenniferMI Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 8

I would try the dry dust in a cup first, just roll um around, few at a time.

This should work....I know if using small balls to make individual pearls, this works with pearl dust luster dust.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Suewillo Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #3 of 8

I don't think I would set them in liquified alcohol because the fondant will go soggie. I would add the luster dust to the fontant and colour it that way and then just roll them in some luster dust before they dry out too much. I have never tryed this but it just a thought.
Good luck

CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #4 of 8

I just made a bunch of little red fondant balls. I let them dry a bit in a 16 inch round cake pan with wax paper on the bottom, then got a huge fluffy food safe brush and started dusting them (I used gold) then swirled the pan and dusted some more until they were the effect I was going for.

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #5 of 8

Definitely roll them in a large container of dry dust.

cupcakemkr Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:05pm
post #6 of 8

I just did a whole bunch of little flowers for my castle cake, I cut them out shaped them, let them dry and then placed them in a glass jar - added luster dust, put the cap on and shook them up a bit they were perfectly coated. I left them in the jar for storage.

You could do it in a baggie too.

tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 8

I do 3 things....either.

I roll the ball and put the dust in my palm after is rolled so i can roll and paint at the same time

airbrush them...

shake them in a box like cupcakemaker does.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

GayeG Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 8

O! Thank ya'll sooo much!! I was very afraid to try them wet - and never thought to roll them around in it dry! Ya'll have saved my sanity!!

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%