First Time Fondant User

Decorating By perky682 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 8:49am by Sabz

perky682 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perky682 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 16

i am making a cake for my son's 2nd bday in a couple of weeks and the cake i have chosen has a 3D character on top that is made out of styro covered in fondant. i have never used fondant before and am starting to get concerned does anyone have any recommendations about using fondant that might be helpful cause i'm lost lol thanks so much!!

15 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:54pm
post #2 of 16

unfortunately the best tip is practice! and leave much mote time than you think you will need!
think about what you use to roll out your fondant - different methods work for different people - using crisco, cornflour or powdered sugar.
think about your fondant - making your own apparently tastes better (never tried!) but can be harder to work with if you dont know how fondant works. wilton tastes rubbish but is apparently good to work with. there are other brands that taste better though, and work as good.
what figure are you covering?
good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 16

Hi there, welcome to CC and congrads on your first post.

I totaly agree with brincess_b. You need to keep practicing, but hope these links would help you in some way.

This is how you could cover a round cake with fondant,

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/rolled-fondant.cfm

And here how you could cover a square cake,

" rel="nofollow">

You can roll it out on cornstarch or crisco. Anything works best for you.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

perky682 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
perky682 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 16

i am covering a 3D styrofoam wubbzy character and a round styro ball will look like his kick ball so it will not be eaten just for decoration. i bought the wilton fondant he's a pretty simple character not too much detail just a little concerned i will mess it up being my first time also concerned about cutting the styro character don't think i've ever cut styro before i'm not sure if it's messy or easy to cut and shape.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:26pm
post #5 of 16

Relax and it before actually making the cake. Roll it out and get comfortable with it....you'll be surprised at how nice it is to work with.
Look at the links sent to you ahead of me as well (sorry, not sure who sent you those or I would call them by name!)
And post pics of your finished product!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 16

Sorry.....meant to say 'relax and play around with it....' my hands lagged behind my mind!

szakacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
szakacs Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:58am
post #7 of 16

SO I have a question about mmf I have made it 2x and both times when im kneading it it starts to tear...but at the same time is sticky....so I keep adding icing sugar...water...does anyone know what I'm doing wrong???
I have used Wilton once and it was so easy to work with but I cant eat it because it tastes sooo bad!!!
Any suggestions to what I may be doing wrong???

BakeLoveMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakeLoveMom Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:10am
post #8 of 16

I make my fondant because it really does taste better, BUT, I use Wilton or another bought brand to model figures or make bows...basically for the parts that aren't going to get eaten. In your case I would think that Wilton would be best for covering styrofoam. Very easy for you to use. And things like that can be made well in advance to all time to dry. This will also give plenty of time to trouble shoot. I would say make it up to 2 weeks or a week and half ahead of time. Wish you luck.

Sarah

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:23am
post #9 of 16

Oh I really think you should at least do one small practice run at covering something (even if very small) because you won't know what issues will come up until you actually work with it. Then this way at least, if there are any issues, you can post your problems on the forum and get help that is specifc.

It really does take lots of practice to get it right and I am only now getting the hang of how to cover a cake without the pleating issues at the bottom after having done about 5 cakes of 4" or higher.

You can always search in the forums under "problems with fondant or MMF" and pull up all kinds of past issues & solutions from members and those will give you some insight at least to start.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:57pm
post #10 of 16

I'm tempted to make MMF for the first time, but does it taste nice? Marshmallowy?

szakacs Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #11 of 16

It tastes great!!! Its just PS and mellows, so its sweet and yummy.
But very very sticky when working with it. Make sure you grease your hands with A LOT of crisco. I may be NEW but I know that!! LOL

bashini Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:10pm
post #12 of 16

I prefer Michele Foster's Fondant. Its so yummy! MMF is too sweet for me. icon_smile.gif

szakacs Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:54pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

I prefer Michele Foster's Fondant. Its so yummy! MMF is too sweet for me. icon_smile.gif

Are you referring to this recipe???

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

bashini Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:23am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by szakacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Are you referring to this recipe???

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

Yes, that's the one! icon_biggrin.gif

ThreeDGirlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThreeDGirlie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:36am
post #15 of 16

If it's not going to be eaten, skip the extra stress and use Wilton.

And no sense worrying about it when you can start WORKING on it! Fondant figures need time to dry, and they can be made and stored for weeks. So start playing! This gives you plenty of time to get the feel for it, and plenty of opportunities to fix any problems that might arise in your experimentation.

Sabz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sabz Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:49am
post #16 of 16

Omg I was having dreams about MMF last night! Some people were warning me off it saying its a nightmare to work with. Phew, I need to stop thinking about cake decorating so much!

I use a gelatin that's not as strong as the average gelatin available. Would that affect my fondant?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%