Audi Rings Cake

Decorating By kms0321 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm by kms0321

kms0321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kms0321 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone!
I'm making my boyfriend the Audi Rings symbol cake this weekend but I'm having some trouble thinking of how to cover it.
I'm using four 7inch rounds for the rings themselves and cutting the middle out so they're actually rings, rather than circles.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to cover the rings in fondant?
I wanted to cover the entire cake in black fondant and then make rings in silver. Do you have any suggestions as to what would be the best way to make the silver rings? (To make Silver, I think I'll just make grey fondant and add shimmer powder)

I've attached a sketch I made on the computer to help you better understand what I'm thinking.

Thank you very much!
LL

4 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 5

that will be very cool! but looks tricky to my eyes!
maybe cover the whole ring in black at once. cut out the middle circle, and run a rectangle of black round the inside of the ring?
i just think it will be tricky covering the inside smoothly, but i guess if you are careful it can be done!
i thik with silver you are right to start with grey fondant, then depending on your dust either brush it on dry, or mix it with vodka.
good luck, i bet it will look great!
xx

kms0321 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 5

Oh that's a good idea! I did not think of that, thanks!
Do you have any suggestions as to how to approach making the silver rings? I wanted to roll out a bunch of silver fondant and then cut the circles out, but that seems like I'd be wasting a lot of silver fondant. I know I could also try cutting a long, thin rectangle and forming it into a circle, but I don't know if that will make the nicest ring shapes.. you know?

thanks!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:03pm
post #4 of 5

i think u will end up with a spare ball of fondant however you do the rings - they would look better if you could roll out a rectangle, and cut them all in one go, so its joined together. or else just do one circle at time and do a careful patch up job. and then paint the silver colour on, id say after they are on the cake, you could do it before too.
xx

kms0321 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 5

Well thank you very much for the tips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%