Scroll Work On The Side Of A Cake

Decorating By marlain Updated 6 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm by juleebug

marlain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marlain Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 10

I was asked to do a cake with gold scroll on the side and for the ribbon. What I need to know is if the scroll can be done in gold and how?

The cake looks like its in Buttercream but i could be wrong while the Ribbon looks like fondant or gum paste. Tried loading picture but CC does not accept extension doc.

Any advise anyone??

Thanks CC's
LL

9 replies
CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 10

Check out the 5 tier red cake with gold scrolls in my gallery. I tinted royal icing golden yellow, piped it on the cake using a scroll press to mark indentations (I don't trust my freehand at 3 am icon_smile.gif ) and after it crusted over for a bit, I went back and painted it with gold luster dust mixed with a bit of vodka to make a nice paint. It's kinda hard to see in the pic, but it was gold. It could have been a little more gold if I mixed the dust thicker, but it still looked really good.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 10

And Americolor has a "gold" gel food color that you can use as well. I also used the gold luster dust with alcohol (everclear) to paint on the gold fondant.

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 10

When you do your scrolls do you use buttercream or Royal? I have always used buttercream and just curious if thats what people use. My scroll work is not very good freehand but I just bought a pattern I am going to try out for practice for a wedding.
Thanks

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 10

Angel, I'm curious about that,too. Hopefully this will bump it so some1 can helpicon_smile.gif

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 12:04am
post #6 of 10

Great Post!

Just curious how you don't get the gold luster dust mixture all over the cake while painting the scrollwork?
Is there a trick?

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 3:21am
post #7 of 10

angelcakes5-I use a pattern press too, and I love it. I pipe buttercream if the cake is iced in it, and RI if the cake is fondant.

mjs4492-The trick is a very steady hand! The scrolls will be slightly elevated from the rest of the cake, so you just use a small artist brush and a huge amount of patience and paint away.

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 3:43am
post #8 of 10

Cakemommy are you putting the dust on dry or wet?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:21pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Cakemommy are you putting the dust on dry or wet?

It sounds like it's wet to me. Since she said it would take a lot of time and patience. If it was dry, I wouldn't think that you could just paint and be done. But if it was wet, you would want to make sure that everything looks the same.

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 6 Apr 2009 , 7:30pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommy3

Check out the 5 tier red cake with gold scrolls in my gallery. I tinted royal icing golden yellow, piped it on the cake using a scroll press to mark indentations (I don't trust my freehand at 3 am icon_smile.gif ) and after it crusted over for a bit, I went back and painted it with gold luster dust mixed with a bit of vodka to make a nice paint. It's kinda hard to see in the pic, but it was gold. It could have been a little more gold if I mixed the dust thicker, but it still looked really good.

Wet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%