Filling A Cross Cake?

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm by Omicake

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 8

I have a request for a lemon filled cross cake. It appears in the gallery that those who use the wilton cross pan do not fill. I was thinking about baking 2 cross cakes and filling with lemon for a 2 layer cross cake??? Just didn't seem like anyone was doing that and was wondering if there was a reason?? She does not want a cross cake on a sheet cake.

7 replies
jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #2 of 8

Have you thought about cutting the sides off the cross and filling it in three sections and then putting it back together or try using a cake board to slide under the middle of the cake after slicing it and then use it to slide it back on. (try making sure that the cake is partway frozen so it stays together better). Hope this helps.

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #3 of 8

Jen...I'm ok with the filling part.....I just didn't want to torte the cross cake because it won't serve enough....so I was going to bake 2 cross cakes and put the filling in between the two. Hope this makes sense.....Deb

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 8

I am making a cross cake, too, and was also worried about the number of servings. I like your idea of doing 2 of them. How thick would you bake each layer? 2 inches?

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I have a request for a lemon filled cross cake. It appears in the gallery that those who use the wilton cross pan do not fill. I was thinking about baking 2 cross cakes and filling with lemon for a 2 layer cross cake??? Just didn't seem like anyone was doing that and was wondering if there was a reason?? She does not want a cross cake on a sheet cake.

I guess it is because the shape of the border of the Wilton pan is slanted.Try to visualize one on top of the other and you'll know what I mean.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 8

I have made the cross pan cake several times. I torte in an fill it. It is actually quite large when done. However, it wasn't enough to feed over 50 guests, so I put the Cross on top of a sheet cake. So, instead of it sitting on a board it was sitting on another cake. Hope this helps.

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 8

Well, since it is beveled on top, I was thinking of trimming it flat...trimming both cakes flat...then they will lay nicely on top of each other and create more servings.....what 'cha think???

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:08pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, I believe that could be a good option. Hope your pan is the larger cross pan, mine is the small one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%