Covering Dummy Cakes....

Decorating By Brownie1954 Updated 26 Mar 2009 , 5:36am by Normita

Brownie1954 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 10

I have never started a new topic, so I hope I am doing this right.
About a month ago, I read where someone had said what to use, to initially cover a dummy cake, so the lumps and bumps don't show, before usind BC or fondant. Can't remember for nothing what it was. Can someone help please? icon_rolleyes.gif

9 replies
lmn4881 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 10

I just apply the butter cream directly to the styrofoam cake dummy and then the fondant over that. if there is something that you apply before, I would like to hear that as well.
I know that some people cover the styrofoam with Press and Seal wrap or with Saran Wrap before they start.

Hope this helps!

Lisa

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #3 of 10

Nick Lodge puts a thin layer of piping gel on dummies before he covers them. This works really well. I have used a very thin layer of shortening to cover mine. Others use just water. Experiment to see what works best for you.

HTH

Michele

KoryAK Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 10

I just spritz mine with water. The dummies should be smooth and already great for covering. If they are not (dinged up or multiple styro rounds stacked together) I would use royal as a first coat, just enough to remove the imperfections.

Brownie1954 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks everyone for the suggestions on this. I will try this a couple of different ways to see which works the best for me..... icon_rolleyes.gif

JenniferMI Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #6 of 10

I use the Glad Press N Seal and a very lite layer of clear piping gel. It's so niceto be able to use the dummies over again.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Brownie1954 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 10

JenniferMI...I am interested in what you wrote. I'm sorry if I sound silly, but did you mean to put a small amount of the gel all over the dummy, then lay the Glad Cling to it? It will stick on there when you go to put BC or fondant on it? Does it wrinkle easily?
Am I allowed to ask another type of question on here that would like to ask you, or do I have to open a new topic? Thank you for helping me!
icon_smile.gif

Normita Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferMI

I use the Glad Press N Seal and a very lite layer of clear piping gel. It's so niceto be able to use the dummies over again.

Jen icon_smile.gif

What's the piping gel for....is it to make it the fondant stick?? If I don't use glad wrap and just use piping gel, will the gel stick to my dummy and make it hard to take off, thus, causing damage to my dummy??

KoryAK Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:19am
post #9 of 10

I think she covers the dummy with press n seal to protect it. Then apply the gel to make the fondant stick to the press n seal.

normita: I just spritz my dummies w water and then apply the fondant. If I want it off, I soak it off (no damage). The press n seal will just make that easier (you'll be able to open it at the un-fondant-covered bottom and pop the whole thing off) especially if you want to use a dummy many times. Mine pretty much stay put so I don't mess with it.

Normita Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I think she covers the dummy with press n seal to protect it. Then apply the gel to make the fondant stick to the press n seal.

normita: I just spritz my dummies w water and then apply the fondant. If I want it off, I soak it off (no damage). The press n seal will just make that easier (you'll be able to open it at the un-fondant-covered bottom and pop the whole thing off) especially if you want to use a dummy many times. Mine pretty much stay put so I don't mess with it.

You mean by stay put...that you can not remove the fondant once it is on...or with spraying water on the dummy the fondant sticks pretty well?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%