Rolling Cookie Dough To A Specific Thickness

Baking By cindy58 Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 10:41am by MomLittr

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:44pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, I would like to know what if any tools you use (and where to buy, if possible) to roll your cookie dough uniformly to a specific thickness.

My natural impulse is to roll them thin, but others sometimes request a thicker cookie. I also have those plastic cutters with the detail impressions. I tried those little bands you put on your rolling pin, but I didn't like them much. I've heard of using dowels, but how to you hold them in place while you're rolling the dough? I roll my dough between sheets of wax paper.

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 10
cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks! I just ordered the Dobord -- I can't wait until it arrives!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 10

I just got a Dobord a couple of weeks ago- I love it! It works well as a platform for taking cookie pictures too!!!!

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 10

I tape my wax paper down then tape the dowel on top of the paper. Works very well. However, my doboard should be here any day now. icon_smile.gif

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 1:48am
post #6 of 10

Go to your nearest home improvement center and purchase two 1/4 inch slats. They cost me about $2 total at Home Depot. Lay them on your work surface and roll your dough out between them. Rest your rolling pin on the slats. When your dough reaches the height of the slats (1/4 inch) it is read to be cut with the cookie cutters. Check out my pictures, works perfect everytime. Do not soak the slats in water or they will warp. I just dipped them in soapy water and wipe them clean and make sure that all the dough is washed off. Rinse under running water and let them dry in the dish rack. Best $2 I have ever spent.

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #7 of 10

Dowels, baby, dowels! LOL
My favorite thickness is 1/8 but that's too thin for most people, so I most often use 3/8. (I also use 1/4 occassionally, but I think that's waaaay thick LOL.)

Pebbles13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles13 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:30am
post #8 of 10

I must be the biggest cheapie around. I use the same idea as Alvarga, but I get the FREE paint stirring sticks from Home Depot. They are 1/4" thick. I bring them home, wash with soap and water and wrap in a couple of layers of plastic wrap. None of the wood is exposed and they never touch my cookie dough. I guess I should invest in some sort of plastic strips so that I don't have to keep rewrapping plastic wrap on my sticks! The doboard sounds intriguing, but my cookie stuff is taking over all of my cabinet space and I don't have room for anything else (except maybe a few more cookie cutters!). . . (or maybe stencils). . . icon_smile.gif

lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:21am
post #9 of 10

Pebbles13 -- why on earth try to fix your method? -- it ain't broke! LOL By that, I mean - why would you want to spend $$$ if what you're doing now is working for FREE & with minimal space, I might add icon_smile.gif Never apologize for being thrifty and inventive!!

I'm not hating on the doboard users -- just spreading the cookie love.*

*get it? Kind of a bad pun, there... lol

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:41am
post #10 of 10

I use different size (depending on what I want) wooden dowels - not expensive and they do the trick!

deb

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%