My First Water Effect With Piping Gel

Decorating By ddaigle Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm by ddaigle

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 13

I will be doing my first pool cake and want to use piping gel for the water. I have never done this technique before. Do I just tint it and pour a thin layer on top? Will it set up or be gooey? It's probably an easy technique, but I don't want to screw this up. Thanks. Deb

12 replies
Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 13

Yes, its very easy! Just tint the gel whatever shade of blue you want and it does stay sticky!

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 13

Does the gel need heated a bit to create a pouring consistancy?

Linliv46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Linliv46 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 13

No I didn't heat it and I made like a little pond on top of a sheet after you mix the color and stir you can just put it on with your spatula!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:13pm
post #5 of 13

I always just spoon my piping gel "water" in the cavity I created and smooth it with the back of the spoon or a spatula.

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 13

Julee...In making a swimming pool, I'll have a 9" round area to fill. I don't want to risk tearing up my icing underneath....you don't have issues with this?

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 13

I used piping gel for the entire top of an oval cake (10 x 8 or so), and did it with a spoon like Juleebug. I let the icing underneath set a little bit before putting the piping gel, and there was no problem. You can see the cake I am talking about in my gallery--it's the seashell one.

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #8 of 13

Don't know why I'm so paranoid about something so simple! Guess becuase it's new. Did y'all just spread a thin layer of the piping gel?

juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Julee...In making a swimming pool, I'll have a 9" round area to fill. I don't want to risk tearing up my icing underneath....you don't have issues with this?

Nope. This was an 8 inch water bowl that I did. It was my first time using piping gel. It's super easy.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310203

juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 13

I think my piping gel layer was about 1/4 inch thick on that cake.

karizkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karizkakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:02pm
post #11 of 13

Same as the others here. My layer of colored piping gel is about 1/4" thick and I just spread it out with the regular angled icing spatula. Never had a problem with it messing up the icing underneath, but I will say...

If you're doing a pool? Make a small border so that your gel doesn't run off the cake. Spread the gel inside the border using a spoon or spatula. THEN, go back over your border to clean it up a bit. it's not necessary, but looks better. HTH

juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 13

For my dog bowl I placed a 6 inch pan inside an 8 inch pan and baked the rim of the bowl that way. Just be sure you put something in the 6 inch to weight it down... I learned this the hard way.

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks ladies! I'm think I'm ready!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%