Deep Brown Fondant

Decorating By Mkanz Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm by arosstx

Mkanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mkanz Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 6

I am trying to color my fondant to a deep brown. I have added the Wilton Brown, but afraid to use too much. Exactly how much of this is needed to achieve the color I want??

5 replies
juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 6

If you're using white fondant as the base - ALOT!!! I just made some for the Mario cake in my pics and I didn't think I would ever get the right color.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #3 of 6

With wilton, I would guess you have to add about half the container at least! lol. It's a ton easier to start with chocolate fondant, then you don't have to add very much brown at all. If that's not an option, just beware that your fondant will probably get sticky from all the gel color, and you will have to knead in a bit of powdered sugar to restore the proper consistency. Good luck!

juleebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 6

Just a thought - I don't know what you're using the brown for but would dark chocolate candy clay work?

GayeG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GayeG Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 6

Hi ..
For this cake I actually used white fondant - then tinted a small amt black .. kneaded it with the rest of the white (got a grey) then used brown till I got the brown I wanted. The grey kept me from having to use as much of the brown. And that way it never got sticky as mentioned already ... HTH!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1323503.html

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 6

I know it's too late now, but in the future buy a small tub of brown Satin Ice, either 2lb or 5lb size. It's super dark brown and smells like tootsie rolls! It's so dark I add white to it sometimes when I need a lighter shade. Otherwise you really do need to add a lot of color to white to get it dark. I did a Marine (navy blue) cake this past weekend, and started with white fondant. It took a lot of royal blue and black to get it that color! And a lot of muscle too, ha ha. icon_smile.gif
Good luck,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%