My Icing Cracks

Decorating By tiffevans Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm by leah_s

tiffevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffevans Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have just finished making my fourth cake and when I moved it from the counter to the table the top of the cake cracked not the cake itself but the icing. My grandmother said my board was not sturdy enough but I used the wilton board. SHould I use 2? It was just a sheet cake but I do doctor up the recipe so it is heavy. Can anyone help??? icon_cry.gif

7 replies
emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #2 of 8

Are you using the Wilton cardboard for the sheetcake? If so, it's definitely not sturdy enough alone. I know a lot of decorators on here use Foamcore board, which you can get at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. You might want to look into that.

HTH!

tiffevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffevans Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 8

yeah that is the board I am using. Okay so I need something else. I am going to try something else! Thank you!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 8

The wilton boards are not strong enough, you can glue a few of them to make them stronger.
Edna icon_smile.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 8

no matter what brand name of cake board you use.. you need to at least double them or sometimes i triple them. when i have a heavy cake..and yes , sometimes i use the foamcore boards.. cover them just like you do the cake boards. these cake boards are too cheap, not to double or triple them , for saving this problem with icing .. hth

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 8

I use wooden boards for anything I can't lift with one hand underneath. (does that make sense?)

MirnaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MirnaG Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 8

I use the wilton cardboards too and i had the icing crack once too. I now double or triple them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 8

I used cake drums. Works great, and those thigns are strong!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%