When I Don't Use A Crusting Buttercream...

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 27 Mar 2009 , 5:09am by rockysmommy

CakeInfatuation Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #1 of 16

Let's say I use bettercream instead. It doesn't crust. So how do I ice a cake smooth using this?

I know if I use SMBC or IMBC I can freeze the cake and scrape a perfect edge. If I use regular crusting buttercream, I can use viva or parchment to smooth... but when it doesn't crust and it doesn't have butter in it to freeze, how do you get a super smooth icing?

Or is this one of those things where there really isn't a technique, just lots of practice???

Thanks guys!

15 replies
enoid Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 16

bump. Sorry I can't help

sweetcakes Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 16

practise, and use a tool that is wider then the area your trying to smooth and do it in one swoop, that will take alot of practise.

icer101 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 16

hi, i do believe that Thanh Thanh on this site. uses this bettercream mostly.. her cakes are beautiful.. when i use it. i am pleased with the outcome.. just use wide scraper and keep turntable turning .. and yes, practice... and if you p/m thanh thanh, she will gladly help you too. hth

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 16

Keep dipping a spatula in a container of HOT HOT water. I also first take a spray bottle of water and spray the area, then take my hot, wet spatula and glide it over the area. The spatula should always glide....if it starts to tug, then respray or get spatula wet again. Always scrape of spatula in between each time. Any icing residue on the spatula will create a tugging effect too. (P.S....Than Than uses buttercream and this technique...I work with her) Deb

Skirt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 16

The few times I used it (FP vs bettercreme) I found that it smoothed out with no problem. It has more of a whipped cream consistency than icing.

Ice the cake and finish it off with a hot metal instrument (bench scraper or palette knife). You know, dip it in hot water, wipe off and run over cake.

HTH!

CakeInfatuation Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks guys!!! Now I have to figure out how to make it chocolate. ha ha ha

ngfcake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:44pm
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I know if I use SMBC or IMBC I can freeze the cake and scrape a perfect edge.

Shill, do you mind to explain how do you do that?

Thank you!!

rockysmommy Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

(P.S....Than Than uses buttercream and this technique...I work with her) Deb

That must be such a delight. Her work is incredible. I would love the opportunity to train with her, would be a dream come true.

Have a WONDERFUL WEEK.
Robin

CakeInfatuation Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:53pm
post #10 of 16

IMBC and SMBC....

When I did it in the past I just put the cake in the freezer till the butter in the icing set up. Once it was set up, you can use a straight edge spatula and literally scrape off imperfections leaving a perfectly smooth cake. It's best to use a warm spatula (hot water).

ngfcake Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 16

Thank you! That sounds like a great trick! thumbs_up.gif

ddaigle Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 16

Robin......I am in awe everyday of Than Than's work. I am very fortunate and so excited to go to work everyday!

ceshell Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 7:46am
post #13 of 16

Oh there is a soooooooo much better way to smooth your IMBC than the freezer method! Trust me, I've done both ways. I always chilled mine but was never completely satisfied with the results, especially if I'd colored the icing...the warm spatula technique resulted in streaking or weird color separation. On page 3 of this post, both Antonia74 and ShirleyW offer great tips on smoothing your IMBC. I used Antonia's tips on my most recent IMBC cake (Santa cake in my gallery) and BOY can you tell the difference, compared to my other IMBC cakes. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=30

Antonia74's method was sooooooo much easier than freezing. You can sort of apply the same techniques to any other non-crusting bc.

JaimeAnn Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:29am
post #14 of 16

Chocolate bettercreme is the only flavor I can get... I haven't been able to find the regular bettercreme.

ngfcake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 10:37am
post #15 of 16

Thanks ceshell!! icon_biggrin.gif

rockysmommy Posted 27 Mar 2009 , 5:09am
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Robin......I am in awe everyday of Than Than's work. I am very fortunate and so excited to go to work everyday!

I am so happy for you...one day I would love to meet her.

icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%