How Much Would You Charge For This?

Decorating By mommabeaver25 Updated 25 Mar 2009 , 3:30pm by Heath

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:31pm
post #61 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabeaver25

Okay guys that's enough! Thank you all for answering my post I know know what to price it for. This post has gotten out of hand and I have requested them to close it. Thanks.

Thanks for doing that!... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

MissE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissE Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #62 of 92

I love your work Edna. You are very kind and generous. Don't let such a person who doesn't value their hardwork get you down. You deserve every cent you earn because you work hard for it. I have had to carry just one 14" decorated cake to a client and I thought my arm would tear off.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:33pm
post #63 of 92

Edna, I hope you aren't letting this poster bother you in the least. What she says is so far from the truth that it can't be believed by anyone.

If our lovely troll is reading, I have something to say to you:

I'm a very small time, very unexperienced home baker, but I know a few things. I know that Edna is extremely kind, generous and talented. Her cakes would be worth more due to her talent than almost any cake decorator you would run across. She isn't a Velvet Elvis decorator. She's one of our da Vincis.

Secondly, I can't believe you have ever turned on an oven with what you wrote here. You have zero credibility claiming you can mix, bake, cool, level, torte, fill, crumb coat, ice, smooth, and decorate anywhere near that quickly. Seriously. Anyone who can even imagine the steps would know that.

And then there is clean up.

Secondly, have you forgotten about the consultation, the sketches, the tasting, the shopping? What does that take, 27 seconds in your scenario?

And then, there is the delivery and the set up, which I'm sure using your warp speed gas free vehicle would take 25 seconds.

And, where do you purchase your ingredients so as to create this cheaper than dirt cake? My daughter's birthday cake, a simple 8", cost me...about $20. And I'm cheap and thrifty!

Nope. You in no way shape or form pass the test. You can't be for real. We'll just consider you invisible.

icon_smile.gif

Edna, we love you!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #64 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakeandbakehelper888

Let me start by saying I am a cake decorator/baker myself and I really do not understand how you can justify or even rationalize charging $350-$400 for a cake that feeds 100 people unless its carved out of gold. ... I can't wait to read a "good" justification for robbing people.

Ok, little girl, if you want to be taken to school, then youve come to the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Sugar
flour
meringue powder
electricity
fondant
eggs
butter
Baking
torting
filling
crumbcoat
second coat
stacking
dowels
cardboard
decorating
my work....priceless!

You left out a few things . Commercial rent, commercial auto insurance, commercial liability insurance, commercial fire insurance . Just my insurance costs me $10 EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. that Im in business. Fire systems required to be in a shop, permits, construction loans, $45,000 for commercial equipment.

Oh wait a publix, minimum wage employee wouldnt have to worry about the REAL costs of running a BUSINESS, would she? Im not some chic who does this for spending money, little girl! I run a REAL business!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

Why would it take 2 days? Don't you sleep? Don't you make tutorials and post on here? How much is your time really worth, if you do both for free?

You don't know jack sh*t about cake.

ABSOLUTELY AMEN SISTA! She gave away her whole hand with the above comments.

Trolls ... they're fun to watch, aren't they? icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:45pm
post #65 of 92

If she thinks my cakes are expensive at $3.50 per serving, wait til she hears that in my full time job as a hairstylist I get $50 for a 40 minute haircut icon_eek.gif
I'm sure that would be considered "rude" for me to charge people for my 25yrs experience, many hrs of training, licensing, insurance, rent, utilities etc.

Some of us actually like to get paid well for our skills and expertise. icon_biggrin.gif

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:48pm
post #66 of 92

phew! I was in on thread at the begining, and came back to check it out... WTHeck happened??? Edna, your fab, you know it. And so does my hubby , lol ! icon_lol.gif

Brooke420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brooke420 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #67 of 92

Edna,

I have watched several of your videos on youtube. I am just a beginner and lurker, but I can only wish to have 1/10th of your talent someday. I live in a relatively small town that only offers the Wilton courses. I took one, but it wasn't for me. It is through videos like yours, books, and the internet that I learn. Thank you, and I hope you continue to make youtube videos.

Brooke

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:02am
post #68 of 92

how'd another troll find it's way in here?????????

isn't anyone watching the gate?

geeze, they are kinda entertaining tho....

it makes you suspect (imho) if you have no pics....i'm just sayin....anyone can sign up here and pretend they know cake.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:13am
post #69 of 92

Everyone has summed things up quite well.

Edna, you are a valued member of the CC Community.

Cakeandbakehelper888, you may leave NOW.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:19am
post #70 of 92
Quote:

I really do sell cakes lol. I would charge about $150 for that cake in the photo.

icon_mad.gif Oh hell no troll....hit the road....I can't even think of where to begin with your other crappy comments. Go away!

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:25am
post #71 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickshalfpint

We've probably seen her cakes on cakewrecks icon_lol.gif

icon_lol.gif I don't normally condone "slamming" another person online, and that isn't even close to slamming in my book...but this chick needs to take a big fat STFU pill!

You know, the bad part, it almost sounds like a person who really is a member and thought of the worst possible things to say just to start smack.

Still deserves a big fat 14" cake pan smack upside the head though! icon_lol.gif

Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:29am
post #72 of 92

Jamie.............what's a STFU pill? you can pm me if it's bad icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:34am
post #73 of 92

Ahem...SHUT THE F UP! (and yes BIG BOLD LETTERS) lolololol!

Sorry if that cheesed anyone....this chick raised my blood pressure!

Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #74 of 92

Ohhhhhhh duh............I had me an extra "ditz pill" today!

Thanks for educating me icon_biggrin.gif ........ and to think my DH thinks I'm wasting my time on here. icon_lol.gif

tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:54am
post #75 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Everyone has summed things up quite well.

Edna, you are a valued member of the CC Community.

Cakeandbakehelper888, you may leave NOW.

You are a Pillar of this comunity as well as Indydebi..this means a lot..
Thanks
Edna icon_smile.gif

tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #76 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ahem...SHUT THE F UP! (and yes BIG BOLD LETTERS) lolololol!

Sorry if that cheesed anyone....this chick raised my blood pressure!

Ok i am choking I am laughing so hard!..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #77 of 92

It's been a while since we've been on here...Been trying to spend less time on Cake Central and more time perfecting our craft...However...

Whomever suggested that that cake was worth less than $350-450 dollars does not know Edna's skill level...We took our first Wilton classes from her and learned quite a bit...However...WE would feel comfortable charging that amount since we're newer to the field...My God, the work Edna puts into her creations are fabulous....

We agree with the others....Over $800 due to the magnificent "extra" that went into that cake...You won't even find that terrific detail in a store bought cake...They only use buttercreams that taste like garbage...

Paul & Peter

BTW, Edna: Are you going to ICES?

tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:25am
post #78 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Guys

It's been a while since we've been on here...Been trying to spend less time on Cake Central and more time perfecting our craft...However...

Whomever suggested that that cake was worth less than $350-450 dollars does not know Edna's skill level...We took our first Wilton classes from her and learned quite a bit...However...WE would feel comfortable charging that amount since we're newer to the field...My God, the work Edna puts into her creations are fabulous....

We agree with the others....Over $800 due to the magnificent "extra" that went into that cake...You won't even find that terrific detail in a store bought cake...They only use buttercreams that taste like garbage...

Paul & Peter

BTW, Edna: Are you going to ICES?

Hi Peter and Paul!..

{{{{hugs}}}} thanks for the kind words!

I do want to go but I havent even check on hotels or anything yet!...I need to do something soon if I am going!

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 1:38am
post #79 of 92

Amazing what happens here, just in the time it takes me to make dinner.

Cakeandbake..nutbag..888...whatever (my guess is a cheap, sticker shocked, po'd, bridezilla who budgeted $20 for her wedding cake, because she made cookies once all by herself and decided a wedding cake can't be all that different) can go crawl back under her rock. Geez...what nerve!

Edna, I love your videos and your cakes are jaw dropping!! I wish you taught out West...Do you?

tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:21am
post #80 of 92

I always taught in my area..But God knows what can happen!..
Thanks for the complements!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #81 of 92

Geez you guys are funny... and to that person who thinks making cakes is easy... go ahead give it a try! I am not a cake decorator nor do I have a cake business like almost everyone here on CC, but I do know that time, ingredients and everything else that you put in your cake adds up. My one and only 3-tier cake which is my avatar... a friend of mine asked me how much it would cost for that cake, and I immediately said around $300-400.
Despite my being an amateur, I give my 100% to everything I put into it. So there Cakeandbake...

tonedna Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:44am
post #82 of 92

Welcome around sweetpea!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:49am
post #83 of 92

Thanks Edna... icon_biggrin.gif

cakesthatrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesthatrock Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #84 of 92

Cakeandbakehelper888..........get to bed hun, you need to
get up and go to your middle school tomorrow. Does your parents know what you are doing on here???

cserwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserwa Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:54am
post #85 of 92

From Edna -

Yeah I work really hard, I do videos for people for free, I sometimes I am a 2 am answering emails. I dont get much for helping people other than to know they get skills to move forward in life.

Okay. I'm a newbie (I can't even reply to someone else's post correctly! lol) and total lurker. I've decorated a total of 3 cakes in my life, and none of them were anything to brag about. However, I do know that the only way I knew ANYTHING about decorating those 3 cakes were from this website...and all of the FREE tips that I've gotten from the KIND people on here who are willing to share their expertise. Good luck going out into the real world and finding the kind of willingness to help that exists on this website. Edna - you're amazing. Your cakes are amazing. Your tutorials are amazing. For the newbies who know NOTHING about cake decorating, and probably most of the people who know EVERYTHING about cake decorating, you are an amazing resource. Enough said. For you and all of the other HELPFUL people on here (helpful meaning NON morons - aka - NOT cakeandbake...), I pray that God will restore tenfold all of the time that you spend helping others (for which you receive absolutely nothing for...) and return your kindness back to you in the form of blessings in every area of your life.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 6:38am
post #86 of 92
Quote:
Quote:

If she thinks my cakes are expensive at $3.50 per serving, wait til she hears that in my full time job as a hairstylist I get $50 for a 40 minute haircut

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

And I get paid $500 to teach a 2-hour breastfeeding class in English to expatriate women at a private hospital here in Indonesia! Obscene, yes?
Which is partly the reason why I'm not doing cakes as a business here. If I stuck to the local price range, I'd be paying myself less than $10 an hour!

Edna, you are the BEST! You had me at hello. Saludos y un abrazo!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:27am
post #87 of 92

HOLY CRAP!!!!!

How did I miss this thread.

It is really a good thing I don't know where this B@#$% lives. Because I would ____________ her _________ ________ All Over Publix or wherever she works.
And then make her _______ ________ ______!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shakeandbakehelper666 or whatever your name is GO NOW!!!!!!!!

and take your generic cake mix and canned frosting cakes and stick them up your A$$!

I love you Edna I wish I still lived in Florida so I could meet you in person. Maybe on my next visit!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:58am
post #88 of 92

Oh and by the way Fakeacake888..

I did not graduate from High school. In fact I left school when I was 14 in the 9th grade, and I guarantee you I have a Higher IQ and am of far superior intellect than you could even imagine being!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 8:05am
post #89 of 92

icon_surprised.gif How sad that someone takes so much delight in being dismal and mocking other peoples craft/works of art.

I find it totally gobsmacking that she/he would come to a Cake/Cookie Forum just to vent their frustration and anger.....Surely there must be a forum out there ----------------------------------> which would be suitable for his/her hobbie/craft - whatever that might be icon_confused.gif

I thought one left that kind of behaviour behind the shelter shed when they left primary school - i guess i thought wrong.

Shame she/he didn't read alot of the posts on here and thus realise that we are either here to learn (like me) or to teach.

*shrugs shoulders* - it just goes to show - Bad Breeding and Bad Manners still exsist out there. What a scarey thought. icon_sad.gif

Bluehue.

Deb_ Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #90 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by cserwa

Okay. I'm a newbie (I can't even reply to someone else's post correctly! lol) and total lurker. I've decorated a total of 3 cakes in my life, and none of them were anything to brag about. However, I do know that the only way I knew ANYTHING about decorating those 3 cakes were from this website...and all of the FREE tips that I've gotten from the KIND people on here who are willing to share their expertise. Good luck going out into the real world and finding the kind of willingness to help that exists on this website. Edna - you're amazing. Your cakes are amazing. Your tutorials are amazing. For the newbies who know NOTHING about cake decorating, and probably most of the people who know EVERYTHING about cake decorating, you are an amazing resource. Enough said. For you and all of the other HELPFUL people on here (helpful meaning NON morons - aka - NOT cakeandbake...), I pray that God will restore tenfold all of the time that you spend helping others (for which you receive absolutely nothing for...) and return your kindness back to you in the form of blessings in every area of your life.

cserwa..........what a nice post and I feel the same way as you. Even though I've been making cakes for 25 yrs and have taken classes over that period..........my real "cakeucation" (my own word) began the day I joined this site 7 months age.

The tips, knowledge and best of all support that I have received here is PRICELESS and it's all because of all the GREAT ladies and gentlemen on here. I don't want to name names and forget someone, but you all know who you are.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart! You have helped my cake business immensely! icon_biggrin.gif Last year I made 45 cakes to sell.......this year so far I've made more then that number already and I credit that to all of you! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%