How Thin Should I Make The Royal Icing

Baking By wverbest Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm by yankeegal

wverbest Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first post, lol, be kind.

I just tried my first batch of nfsc....Love it! When I went to frost them my RI would not flood the way I wanted it to. I had it pretty thin but I am not sure if I thin it so much will it still harden???? What consistency I am I trying to achieve for the flooding part?

4 replies
trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

I can't really help you much but I want to get into cookie making so I have been checking out a lot of different threads for the RI and everyone is saying that you would want it a elmers glue consistency or a little thicker. Sorry I can't be anymore help.. icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

The Elmers glue consistency is correct. After my RI is thinned I take a spoon and make a scoop and kind of drizzle it all around the top and if it sinks in and disappears within 5-8 seconds I call it good and it's ready to flood. I think some people also say 10 seconds for it to sink in and it will be good flood. I have had really really thin RI on my cookies and it always hardens. It seems like it won't but it always has for me.

wverbest Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 5

thank you so much for the info, it is truly apprciated. Now I can't wait til next weekend when I can try again.

yankeegal Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 5

I flood with the consistency of pancake batter. If it is too thin, you will know right away-it will run off of the sides of the cookie. The trick, I think is to add water just a teaspoon at a time so you don't add too much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%