How Thin Should I Make The Royal Icing

Baking By wverbest Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm by yankeegal

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 5

This is my first post, lol, be kind.

I just tried my first batch of nfsc....Love it! When I went to frost them my RI would not flood the way I wanted it to. I had it pretty thin but I am not sure if I thin it so much will it still harden???? What consistency I am I trying to achieve for the flooding part?

Thanks

4 replies
trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 5

I can't really help you much but I want to get into cookie making so I have been checking out a lot of different threads for the RI and everyone is saying that you would want it a elmers glue consistency or a little thicker. Sorry I can't be anymore help.. icon_smile.gif Good Luck!

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:41am
post #3 of 5

The Elmers glue consistency is correct. After my RI is thinned I take a spoon and make a scoop and kind of drizzle it all around the top and if it sinks in and disappears within 5-8 seconds I call it good and it's ready to flood. I think some people also say 10 seconds for it to sink in and it will be good flood. I have had really really thin RI on my cookies and it always hardens. It seems like it won't but it always has for me.

wverbest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wverbest Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 5

thank you so much for the info, it is truly apprciated. Now I can't wait til next weekend when I can try again.

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #5 of 5

I flood with the consistency of pancake batter. If it is too thin, you will know right away-it will run off of the sides of the cookie. The trick, I think is to add water just a teaspoon at a time so you don't add too much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%