How Can I Get Into Cake Decorating?

Decorating By foss Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm by kakeladi

foss Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I've decided I'd love to go into cake decorating as a career, either working in a craft bakery or on a self-employed basis. I was wondering what tips or suggestions people have as to how to do it. Is it quite easy to become employed as a cake decorator? Would I be expected to show photos of cakes I have made in order to get a job or is it something you can get into without much experience? Would it be a good idea to go on a short course to learn the essentials? I have some experience making and decorating cakes, but only as a hobby. I was wondering whether cake shops ever take people on for on-the-job training, as this might be a logical first step.

I'm particularly interested in hearing back from anyone who would see cake decorating as their main source of income, especially in the UK (where I live) - how did you get into it?

Sorry to ask so many questions, I just don't know where to begin!

2 replies
BumbleBakeShop Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 3

Hey there!

Sadly, I can't offer any advice.. I am in your exact same situation.

Professional cake decorators- we would love to read your answers!!
thumbs_up.gif

kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 3

things are very different in the UK than here in the states.
Here you could go to Michael's , Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's Fabrics for 4 week course (there are 3 or 4 levels each 4 wks.) to get the basics.

After that there are lots of decorators - several of them on this site like SugarShack and JenniferMI - who often travel to different areas of the country to teach.
Those are just the beginning to a great career if you do find you really love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%