Left My (Dis)Comfort Zone, Michele, You're My Hero!

Decorating By chilz822 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm by Win

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:07pm
post #61 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

It's a mixture of powdered chile, lime juice and salt. People, especially younger ones, put it on everything. Wonder what that would be like in a fondant... Well, maybe not, but I'd have to test it out on a bunch of kids from my neighborhood before I'd rule it out completely!

Ok....now that belongs in another thread, titled "Snacks sure to gross you out!" Hahahahaha...It would be interesting, that's for sure, and where I live, I could probably sell it real easily! icon_biggrin.gif

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:14pm
post #62 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilz822

I'm custious Michele, if any flavors don't mix well? LoRanns? Emulsions? extracts? Hmmm.. Peanut Butter? Kool-Aid? icon_razz.gif
Mmm... Peanut Butter Fondant! Whaddaya think?

I do a lot of experimenting with all of my recipes and I've found that if it tastes good in other things then it makes a great fondant. Some of my favorite combos are mixed drink flavors.

With the peanut butter you might have to add more powdered sugar because of the extra oil.

If you try Kool-Aid, be sure to dissolve it in a small amount of water first so that the sugar crystals won't make for grainy fondant.

Just about anything you want to try should work. The amount of powdered sugar and glycerin you use might need to be adjusted.

Thanks again for all of the wonderful compliments!

Michele

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:17pm
post #63 of 87

Hey, they put chile's in chocolate now, why the heck not?
I'm dying to try some sort of peanut butter cake! I wonder if, because peanut butter is so oily, if it would even work as a fondant mix-in...

chilz822 Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #64 of 87

Hey Michele, aside from the powdered sugar, do you think the glycerine or anything else would need to be adjusted in order to try the peanut butter?

Anyone wanna take up the challenge and experiment?

Sugarflowers Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 11:06pm
post #65 of 87

I really don't know how peanut butter will respond, but I would not put more than 1/2 cup of PB into the fondant. I also think it would be best if it was added with the first round of powdered sugar. I think melting it would be a major problem. I don't know this for sure, but this is my guess.

Michele

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 12:18am
post #66 of 87

Perhaps peanut butter chips would work okay and add enough peanuty flavor?

Sugarflowers Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #67 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vylette

Perhaps peanut butter chips would work okay and add enough peanuty flavor?

This sounds like a really great idea. It should work more like the chocolate chips. A little extra glycerin might be needed.

Michele

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #68 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

If you don't have a double boiler you can use the microwave. Once the gelatin has bloomed (firmed up) then nuke it for 1 minute on high to melt it. Add the remaining ingredients, except for the powdered sugar, and nuke in 1 minute intervals until the butter is almost melted. Let this cool to luke warm. Strain it into 2 lbs. powdered sugar, stir by hand. Add more powdered sugar slowly until the fondant does not ooze down the dough hook. Follow the rest of the recipe to finish.

The straining is to get rid of any lumps of gelatin and/or chocolate. Although the recipe states to use 3 packets of gelatin, I find that I get better results if I measure it. I use 3 level tablespoons for a batch.

HTH

Michele

Got it!!!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #69 of 87

I'm going to experiment with adding chocolate this weekend. Any pros or cons of milk vs dark chocolate? Thanks!! BTW, Michele you should TOTALLY add your paypal account on here...I'd send you a $5 donation just because I love/adore your recipe!! I'd be willing to bet I'm not the only one who feels the same way!

chilz822 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:44am
post #70 of 87

Ohh yes, unless one of you beat me to it, my next batch will be a peanut butter chip experiment.
icon_wink.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:56am
post #71 of 87

Please let us know how it turns out. I love new ideas for flavors. It's so much fun to experiment.

My next experiment will be Pina Colada.

Michele

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #72 of 87

I put my money where my mouth is and sent $5 to Michele via paypal and you can too! Michele, thanks again for your recipe and your constant willingness to help us with it!!

Arainna Forth

milissasmom Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #73 of 87

I am in awe...

I JUST finished making this fondant and OMG, it was clearly the easiest fondant ever. I tried MMF once and HATED it and actually vowed to never, EVER made fondant again! I am SO glad I took a chance on this recipe. It truly is the best thing ever. I can't wait to cover my cake. Thanks so much for opening up and sharing this with us all....AWESOME!!!!!

Sugarflowers Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #74 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthwife

I put my money where my mouth is and sent $5 to Michele via paypal and you can too! Michele, thanks again for your recipe and your constant willingness to help us with it!!

Arainna Forth

Thank you so much Arainna, it is greatly appreciated. I'm very touched.

Thanks everyone, again, for all of the compliments.

Michele

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:10am
post #75 of 87

The recipe says to let it rest for 24 hours. Does anyone know if you have to let it rest that long or if I can use it sooner?

Sugarflowers Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:23am
post #76 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrygirl

The recipe says to let it rest for 24 hours. Does anyone know if you have to let it rest that long or if I can use it sooner?

The fondant can be used after about 8 hours or over night. Six hours is the minimum. When I wrote the book with this recipe in it I wrote 24 hours mostly because I was thinking "the next day". I should have been more clear.

Michele

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #77 of 87

I have made it the night before and then used it the next morning...it was fine. I have made the chocolate version...it is yummy! I think I added 2 TBSPs cocoa powder and a cup of semi sweet chocolate chips.
I love love love this recipe....Thanks Michele!

milissasmom Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:17am
post #78 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrygirl

I don't know....I was just letting mine rest because I have the time to do so. I wonder what would happen if you just used it right away?? Maybe it shrinks or something sort of like the instability of an unsettled cake??? I dunno

Sugarflowers Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 5:23am
post #79 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

I don't know....I was just letting mine rest because I have the time to do so. I wonder what would happen if you just used it right away?? Maybe it shrinks or something sort of like the instability of an unsettled cake??? I dunno

If it is not allowed to rest then it will not stretch properly. It will break and make you crazy. The gelatin and powdered sugar need time to absorb the moisture.

HTH

Michele

strawberrygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberrygirl Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 11:11am
post #80 of 87

Thank you so much for the quick response. That is just what I wanted to hear. I have been wanting to try this recipe and wanted to use it on my next cake but I wasn't sure I would have 24 hours to let it rest. I will make it this morning before I go to work and that way I can use it tonight.

icon_biggrin.gif

chilz822 Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 4:21pm
post #81 of 87

Did you all see that Michele added an updated recipe to the site? I think it answers all of the questions that have been asked and tips mentioned in so many previous posts and threads.

Thanks, Michele!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 7:04pm
post #82 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannie

thanks,

I guess I know what I'll be spending my next Michaels coupon on icon_razz.gif

Also, take a look in health food stores. You can usually find bigger bottles for a lot cheaper than Wilton. Also, a CVS pharmacist told me that she could order it.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:23am
post #83 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarflowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by milissasmom

If it is not allowed to rest then it will not stretch properly. It will break and make you crazy. The gelatin and powdered sugar need time to absorb the moisture.

HTH

Michele

Ahhh, I'm so glad I'm reading this thread!
That's exaclty what happened to me the first time...I tried to use it inmediately and it did drove me crazy icon_biggrin.gif ----so, right now, I am patiently waiting for 6 hours to pass by LOL icon_biggrin.gif

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:21pm
post #84 of 87

I have a few questions. 1/2 cup cream - is this milk or whipping cream? Also can I use margarine for the butter? I have never made fondant and don't work well with the wilton. Thanks for your help.

chilz822 Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:11pm
post #85 of 87

According to Michele, you can use pretty much any kind of liquid, aside from liquor. I made a batch 2 days ago and I used French Vanilla Coffeemate and white chocolate... it's very yummy and easy to work with. Her original recipe called for milk and I've used that with good results too. Next time I'm going to try peanut butter chips and heavy cream.

I wouldn't use margarine as I think it has a high water content and can change the texture and workability.

jennafezz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennafezz Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 7:59pm
post #86 of 87

I'm another one who finally tried Michele's fondant recipe! I've made three batches so far and I will NEVER go back to MMF! Michele's recipe is easier, cleaner, SMOOTHER, easier to work with, and just beautiful.

Thank you so much for coming up with this, Michele.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 8:13pm
post #87 of 87

I've been singing the praises of Michele's for a year now!!! Michele mentioned in another post this past week that she is adding most frequently asked questions with answers to her website. Make sure you go in and check (her website) just for fun. It's great! While you are there make sure to check out Michele's awesome book. (Michele's website is in her signature.) As well, another poster mentioned that she has updated the recipe and posted that. It had been running on the front page. It, too, answers a lot of the questions that come up.

edited for typo and info on Michele's book...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%