Fondant Curly- Q's

Decorating By dhccster Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm by dhccster

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 11

Hello-- I just made my first fondant bow. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I would like to add some curly-q's. Can someone help explain to me how to do them? I am thinking maybe you just wrap fondant around a straw or something??? I just wanted to ask the experts out there!! Thank you!!

10 replies
lizamlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizamlin Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 11

That's what I've done in the past - straw is a bit flimsy though - wooden spoon handle, chopstick?, pencil... so on. Congrats on the 1st bow! Post a pic?

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 11

Hi. I used my wooden dowel rods to do mine. They set pretty fast so I was able to slide them off right away. I let them dry on my flower formes after that. HTH!!!

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 11

I did a ton of them on a cake recently. I wrapped thin strips of fondant around dowels, loosely. Let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes, then slid them off. At this point they are set enough to retain their shape, but flexible enough to bend so they look more natural, not just straight. Then I let them sit for a few days to harden before putting them on the cake. You can see the results in my photos.

dhccster Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 11

Thank you all so much. I will try the dowels.

artscallion- your cake looks great. You did a great job!

morgansmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgansmommy Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:44pm
post #6 of 11

Do you have to use gum tex in the ingriedient or just plain fondant?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:00pm
post #7 of 11

I used fondant alone because I didn't have any gum tex or tylose. It worked fine. But it does take longer to harden without it.

dhccster Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:01pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmommy

Do you have to use gum tex in the ingriedient or just plain fondant?

Hi-- I just used MMF. I was pleased with how they turned out. I don't have any gumpaste, but I would like to get some and do 50/50 (fondant/gumpaste). That is what I have read a lot on this site. HTH

I really do like working with fondant now. My next step is to try to cover a cake in fondant. I just ordered sugarshack's dvd's so I will wait until I get them and have a better idea of how to do it!

morgansmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morgansmommy Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:06pm
post #9 of 11

hey thanks!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 11

hsterling said: .....don't have any gumpaste, but I would like to get some....

You can make your own if you can get Tylose. Use Nic Lodge's recipe.... it's on his site. Basically it is royal icing w/Tylose added at the end. Love that recipe (the results) icon_smile.gif

dhccster Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:01pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

hsterling said: .....don't have any gumpaste, but I would like to get some....

You can make your own if you can get Tylose. Use Nic Lodge's recipe.... it's on his site. Basically it is royal icing w/Tylose added at the end. Love that recipe (the results) icon_smile.gif

Kakeladi--- so, this recipe makes gumpaste? And then would you add that to fondant or MMF? Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%