Half Shoe Mold...now What?

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 29 Mar 2009 , 4:18am by grannys3angels

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:41pm
post #1 of 19

I am making a cake that needs jogging shoes on the top. I found the perfect mold online ordered it, and started to make my fondant peices ahead of time last night...

sure enough the mold is only half of the shoes.... all facing the same way. I really need to make whole shoes. The need to be jogging shoes and small about 1.75 inches long...

Anyone have ideas?

Cake is for saturday 3/28

here is my not so perfect mold... hehe
LL

18 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:51am
post #2 of 19

bump

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 3:52am
post #3 of 19

i know i should "just mold one" but I suck at that. Has anyone seen a molded tennis or running shoe (not converse) on here? I have looked and can't find anything.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #4 of 19

This one is bigger than your looking for but maybe you could PM her for some direction? She carved floral foam then covered with fondant:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1224475

Here's another one:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=933073

This one says there's cutters available but maybe it's to much like canvas for you

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1264089

I couldn't find any molds on line. Hopefully one of these will help.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:18am
post #5 of 19

Is it possible to make a reverse mold with it like some use to make their people faces using the Barbie head and gumpaste for the other half of the shoe? I'm looking now to find the thread with the instructions. As I recall, it seemed relatively easy....press a wad/ball of gumpaste on the lightly cornstarch dusted form. remove impressed g/p. Check its' details. Set aside to dry. When dried, use it to form fresh g/p into desired shape.

Or would this produce the same side of the shoe??? That would suck...go to all that trouble just to have even more same direction facing shoes...

xstitcher Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:36am
post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

e
Or would this produce the same side of the shoe??? That would suck...go to all that trouble just to have even more same direction facing shoes...

You know I was thinking the exact same thing all4cake and couldn't figure out if it would do that or not. Maybe it's past our bedtime and we'll think better tomorrow icon_lol.gif .

Rocketgirl899 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 19

helps alot thanks! I thought about the making my own mold... but from what i would get.. it would be the same side icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks, i did email one of the girls about her tennis shoes for a close up.

I will keep you posted!

Thanks for the help!

all4cake Posted 25 Mar 2009 , 12:37am
post #9 of 19

Yeah, I went through the motions after reading xstitcher's last comment this morning and thought well poo! Good thing no one went to the trouble of doing it...they/you might've been hacked.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:06am
post #10 of 19

Okay! So here is what I did.

Found a shoe online with photos from every angle.

Made the photo of soles the size I wanted and printed.

Used this to cut out black fondant. let dry for 10 min.
Used black fondant to make template for white fondant.
hand mold the green shoe part and used water to glue it together.
used green wilton fondant tools to make the hole where your foot goes. Added laces (used extruding gun! my new BFF) and some trim. "A" for bithday girl's name.

Only hard part was getting them to look the same.... I didn't do a great job with that. But close.

Thanks for help and suggestions icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

all4cake Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:36am
post #11 of 19

I think you did a fantastic job! and with NO MOLD AT ALL!!!! Necessity, ain't she a wonderful mother?

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 1:37am
post #12 of 19

thanks all4cake!

xstitcher Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:08am
post #13 of 19

I think you did a fantastic job on the whole cake. The colours are wonderful, the shoes and # topper look great as does the whole design! Great job! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #14 of 19

thanks! but colors and design are sugarshack!

xstitcher Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #15 of 19

Well you did an awesome job anyway, whether the colours/design were yours or not and now that you mention it I remember seeing her cake before (I think it's the one that she recently had a class for or something).

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #16 of 19

totally wished I could have gone... I needed to go!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #17 of 19

Oh Rocketgirl, your cake looks GREAT! and you did a wonderful job with the shoes. You go girl thumbs_up.gif

God Bless,
Sharon

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #18 of 19

Hey Sharon! It has been a while! How have you been? See you added a few cakes since I last looked... icon_biggrin.gif I love that lilttle fondant puppy!

grannys3angels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grannys3angels Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #19 of 19

Thanks, I have been doing o.k., I have had to go spend a bit of time with my son and my grandbabies....off and on since last April up till about 3 or 4 weeks ago.

I try to get a cake in here and there in between my visits with them. You have been rocking it with your cakes. I love how you over came the shoe problem, and didn't let it get the best of you thumbs_up.gif Yes, the sugar craft gun can become a BFF icon_lol.gif , I really love mine.

Now I am going to go and leave a comment on your beautiful cake icon_biggrin.gif
God Bless,
Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%