3" 4" And 5" High Cakes

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm by indydebi

sweetcakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:33pm
post #1 of 2

I had a consult for a wedding cake yesterday where the cake tiers will be differant depths. because of that i could not give her a price on the spot since i will have to recalculate my figures.
it will be 6"x4", 8" x 3", 10" x 5", 12" x 3" and 14" x 5 ".
Now there were two ways i could see to do this, although this didn;t come to me until today! for the 3" and 4" just bake them that height, and for the 5" i could bake an extra layer or cut a couple of foam core board to give the extra inch. I saw this on one of the cake shows and they used about 8 cake boards under a cake once to give the extra height, cheating i thought at the time, but now that i have to do it i am considering this. with this option i would go with my regular cake pricing schedule since im not making an any extra layers. what do you think? how would you do that set up. open to all ideas, thanks!!

1 reply
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 2

As far as pricing, the 5" cake is 25% more cake than a 4" cake, so if you use all cake in the 5", that tier should be calculated at 25% higher (each slice of cake will have 25% more cake than a 4" tall cake).

So as an example:

10" round serves 38 x $3/serving = $114 for the tier.
$3 x 1.25% = $3.75/serving x 38 servings = $142.50 for the tier.

She's not getting extra servings ... but she is getting extra cake.

If you go with foam board or cake boards for the height, I say you still charge the extra 25%. See the various discussions on how to price stryofoam cakes .... same icing, same work, same talent, same price.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%