Covering Cake Dummies?

Decorating By auntmamie Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 3:17am by keyshia

auntmamie Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All!

I just got my cake dummies in, and was wondering how to cover them to use them. I plan on making my final cake for Wilton Course 3 on styro rather than real cake. That way, I don't have to transport it to work (where all my class cake go) and I can keep it. However, I'm wondering about covering the cake so I can use it again in the future, if I want to.

Do I cover the styro in plastic wrap, then BC, then fondant? OR plastic wrap and fondant, but no BC? OR just fondant? Also, our instructor teaches us to put piping gel under the fondant to get it secure. If I do this, will I not be able to use the dummy again?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 6

If you don't plan on using the dummy again, just cover it with a
very thin layer of piping gel, then apply your fondant.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 6

I put BC directly on the styro. It hardens like concrete, but when I run a knife under it (months and/or years later) it pops right off and I can use the dummy over and over. I used a dummy in a wedding cake with fondant on it. I put BC directly on the styro, laid the fondant on the BC. WHen i got home from the wedding, I easily scraped it right off.

Those styro's are pretty indestructible unless you take a chainsaw to them.

keyshia Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 6

decorated my first dummy not too long ago and I used fondant. I put some crisco after seeing that advice from someone on here because I couldn't get the fondant tro stick otherwise. I left it on for months, it was rock hard when I took it off, but it just kind of chipped off in big pieces when I was done with it. I now have two that I want to cover, thoguh I'm slightly nervous yet again. icon_biggrin.gif

misscoffey Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:25pm
post #5 of 6

Can someone tell me where to get these cake dummies? I tried in the past to make cake dummies and I failed miserably icon_cry.gif , but am ready to tackle it once again. I would prefer to make my own so I have full control over the sizes, but if the cost comparison is reasonable to buy some for keeps, I will try that.

Another question: what material is best to use and best way to cut and secure them for making my own to keep and reuse again and again?

Thanks to all icon_biggrin.gif !!

keyshia Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 6

I got mine from I really liked their speed in delivery and I got a square set and a round set (I think each has like 4 cakes) and it was only $25.20 for each set with shipping!

Quote by @%username% on %date%