First Sps Disaster

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 1:32am by JenniferMI

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 34

As I was delivering this three tiered cake (10,8,6) (2nd picture) I heard a thud. Hoping the tindkerbell didn't fall off and damage the icing I stopped the cake and had a look.

icon_surprised.gif The top two tiers and flipped off the bottom tier and were leaned up against the sid of my storage bin.

I rushed home and to minimize further damage I slid the bottom tier our from under the others and then tipped the bin to set the top two upright. Amazingly the top two tiers were still together with out a budge.

I was able to fix the cake (1st pic) and deliver it in the nick of time.

The only thing I can see that may have caused this is the 8" cake board had a bend in it so it didn't sit flat. When it fell it fell back and to the left so it didn't fall because of braking or anything like that.
LL
LL

33 replies
ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:32pm
post #2 of 34

That is my greatest fear. Great save!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 34

Well you came up with a great save! I never have liked stacks w/just 2" difference. That makes cakes top heavy. There just is not enough base to handle the weight of the upper tiers.......that's my theory anyhoooo! icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:15pm
post #4 of 34

Well, two things:

1) if the cake board underneath the cake had a bend and wasn't sitting level, that's a problem. For cakes to be straight and secure - with any support system - all the parts have to be level.

2) It sounds like the system held two tiers together that were "leaning up against the side of the storage bin." That should prove that the system (with level components) does work quite well.

The fact that you flipped the top two tiers back level without a problem says a lot.

Great save, overall and I don't agree that it's a SPS failure. It sounds like a cake board failure, and that SPS saved the top two tiers.

Like KakeLadi I think a 2" diameter difference makes small cakes top heavy, but if that's the number of servings needed, it is what it is. I most likely would have set the top tier on, onsite though. I always like to put a level on the cake one last time before settng the top tier.

Great job.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 34

I thought that the cardboard cake circles sat on top of a plastic plate when you use SPS. So wouldn't the support be taken from the plastic plate and not the cakeboard?

Also how tall were your tiers? They appear higher then 4" in those pictures. Did you have to cut your own pillar supports to match the height of your tiers or did you use the standard size?

leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

I thought that the cardboard cake circles sat on top of a plastic plate when you use SPS. So wouldn't the support be taken from the plastic plate and not the cakeboard?

Yes the cardboard sits on top of the plastic plate. But if the cardboard is not level and there's an air pocket between them, then the support is lost.

Good question re: the height of the tiers. I didn't catch that.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 34

Oh OK thanks Leah, I was wondering if she "forgot" the plastic plates, but I guess that wouldn't have been possible to do while assembling.

Yeah, I'm interested in the height of the tiers too it could have been an issue.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 34

Was there anything used to secure the cake circles to the SPS? If there is no glue like carpet tape doesn't that mean the tiers are just stacked up and not anchored down? I was reading in another thread on SPS and I thought about the cake circles just resting over the center spike and how that wouldn't really hold it in place while driving. Then I read further down and saw you must anchor the cake circles to the plate with something.

BCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCo Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:43pm
post #9 of 34

I don't know if you must anchor the cardboard to the plate but I always do - I use a few strips of doublesided carpet tape and those puppies aren't moving an inch! That stuff is super sticky so I try to cut a short section and then cut that strip in half lengthwise and I put about 4 pieces around in a circle on the plastic plate - it doesn't need much b/c of how sticky it is!

luelue1971 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 34

The bottom tier was less that 4 inches like maybe 3.75 so I had to trim the sps columns. The top two were 4 inchs.

I don't blame sps for the failure at all. Those top two tiers were stuck together like glue it was quite amazing.

I stuck the upper cakes to the sps plates with royal icing.

I think it had to be that cake board that caused the problem. I wish I'd thought of it sooner though. I have safely delivered a cake this sized stacked before with no problem. I will be more careful of my cake boards next time.

fosterscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterscreations Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:30pm
post #11 of 34

Glad you were able to fix it. It is a really cute cake. The after picture isn't clickable for me.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 May 2009 , 9:45pm
post #12 of 34

your cake is very pretty... i can,t see the disaster picture either.. glad you could save it though..

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 10 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 34

I used SPS for the first time this weekend for a 14-10-6 wedding cake. The 10" kept sliding off of the plate until I put some tape on the plate. It worried me that I couldn't put a dowel through the whole cake like I usually do, but the fully stacked cake made the trip to the venue, across a parking lot, up a freight elevator and through 2 dining rooms without any problems. Oh, and it was probably the first time ever that my tiers were completely centered. I really like how you can use the plate & legs for exact placement.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:15am
post #14 of 34

oh, I am sorry but it was an excellent save! I haven't had it happen to a big cake yet, knock on wood. Your cake was still pretty!

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 12 May 2009 , 5:26am
post #15 of 34

I need to get this someday! Sounds so cool! Too bad the wedding cake I'm doing next has offset square tiers, or I'd think about getting it for that cake!

Going on my wishlist, along with a stand mixer... icon_biggrin.gif

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:41am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Too bad the wedding cake I'm doing next has offset square tiers, or I'd think about getting it for that cake!

That actually doesn't matter at all, the SPS can easily be used with square cakes, offset or not... you can buy the square plates or just use the round ones under square cakes.

leah_s Posted 12 May 2009 , 12:57pm
post #17 of 34
Quote:

I need to get this someday! Sounds so cool! Too bad the wedding cake I'm doing next has offset square tiers, or I'd think about getting it for that cake!

Going on my wishlist, along with a stand mixer... icon_biggrin.gif

SPS comes in square plates and works fine for an offset cake. No problems at all.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 12 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #18 of 34

I'm ordering it today! I have a cake next weekend that I want to use it on. I'm excited! I've read through the directions and they seem clear enough to figure out for a first timer.

Btw, OP, great save and beautiful cake!

Leah- We need to put you on the SPS payroll icon_wink.gif

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 34

I can do this with SPS?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=56812

If so, that would be AWESOME...

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #20 of 34

I was on GSA website yesterday and only saw/noticed the pillars for the SPS, do they still have the plates?

Thanks~

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 12 May 2009 , 7:56pm
post #21 of 34

I've been eyeing the SPS for a long time - but still don't have a large cake to buy it for. I read the sticky tutorial (THANKS Leahs) but still have one question.

How do you manage to center the hole on the cardboard base to line up with the spike on the SPS plate below. Seems like it would be pretty tricky to get exact.

Thanks in advance.
Pat

luelue1971 Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:40pm
post #22 of 34

Patty, you just line the cardboard up on the plate and poke the hole into the cardboard before you put the cake on the board. Thenk when the cake is ready to be stacked you just slide it on and into place. Its super easy.

kansaswolf- yes you can do that. It might be trickier to line it up but you could do it.

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 12 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #23 of 34

Where is the best place to get SPS?

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 12 May 2009 , 11:49pm
post #24 of 34
Quote:

I can do this with SPS?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=56812

If so, that would be AWESOME...

Absolutely! We have done dozens of offset wedding cakes with the SPS, like this one:

http://www.pieceofcakedesserts.com/images/wedding138.jpg

If you use square plates, you just orient them accordingly, if you use round plates under the square cakes, you don't have to change anything from a non offset setup.

luelue1971 Posted 13 May 2009 , 12:19pm
post #25 of 34

SharonK- I get mine at oasis supply. They have the best price that I have found.

http://www.oasisupply.com/Products/Products.asp?CategoryID=65

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 13 May 2009 , 3:12pm
post #26 of 34

Thank you leuleu. I am new to this site, and I can't believe how nice everyone is, and so willing to share information. Very nice!

mrsandoval Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsandoval Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:37pm
post #27 of 34

What is SPS?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 12:58pm
post #28 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsandoval

What is SPS?

For everything you could ever want to know about SPS - look here:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

mpetty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpetty Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:21pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I always like to put a level on the cake one last time before settng the top tier.

I've always been confused - if stacked tiers aren't level, how do you fix that before placing the other tiers?

leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 1:25pm
post #30 of 34

You can push down on the SPS plate on a *slightly* out of level high spot to re-level. It looks completely scary to do it, but it's fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%