Chandelier Border

Decorating By gateauxdamour Updated 28 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm by kakeladi

gateauxdamour Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:38pm
post #1 of 21

Good Morning!

I'm planning to take a few of the advanced courses at the Wilton school later this year. Reading through the descriptions I was familiar with most of the things discussed. However, in the Master Course it mentions chandelier and reverse chandelier borders.

Does anyone know what this looks like? I'll admit my curiosity was peaked when I couldn't find a description or picture on Wilton, CC or google!

TIA for asuaging my curiosity! icon_biggrin.gif [/i]

20 replies
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 21

OMG! I am seriously the google queen, and I couldn't find anything! The only thing I have ever heard of in "reverse" is the shell border. Maybe it's something they made up to get people interested in signing up for the class, lol. Be sure to let us know what it is a post a pic as soon as you find out! Good luck icon_smile.gif

brincess_b Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:39pm
post #3 of 21

the thing that springs to my mind on hearing the phrase is things like gumpaste shapes, and wired beads. that idea falls through in reverse, unless its more like standing up.
hopefully it means you will be learning something brand spanking new!

7yyrt Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 21

Here are the instructions from the Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, volume 1.

gateauxdamour Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:56am
post #5 of 21

Thanks so much to everyone for replying !

The name makes sense now that I see it. I may just have to play with that idea now...

Thanks 7yyrt for going to so much trouble to help me out!

7yyrt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:31am
post #6 of 21

Glad to help!

If you think about it, the shells are the crystal drops in the chandelier. I love those old borders. Many of the old cakes seemed to consist of one border on top of another!

gateauxdamour Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:46am
post #7 of 21

I so agree about the older techniques! It looks extraordinarily complicated until it's broken down.

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:00am
post #8 of 21

Ohhhhhhhh! "Shells-n-strings"! Why didn't they just say so? icon_lol.gif

playingwithsugar Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:18am
post #9 of 21

Because if they call it a chandelier border we think we're doing something fancy, and can charge more for it.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

7yyrt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 21

Quite a few of them could be called 'shells and strings'. Then you'd have to ask 'which shells and strings one?'
Same reason I name my Halloween skeletons and characters... Much easier just to say 'Hand that to Ingrid, will you?' than 'Put it over the shoulders of the skeleton wearing the Swiss milkmaid costume, please.'

juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 21

Where did you get the Wilton Way of Cake Decorating, volume 1? It looks like an old book but I'd love to have one. (For Christams, my Mom gave me an old Wilton decorating book she had came across at a yardsale somewhere. I was thrilled when I discovered it was from the year I was born.)

7yyrt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 21

I haunt used stores and used book stores. I paid $12 each.
Volume #1 is 1974, #2 1977 and #3 is 1979.
Here are some copies I found on the web...
volume 2 -
volume 3 -

juleebug Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:55pm
post #13 of 21

Thanks a milliion, 7yyrt! I think I'll definately be looking a buying a USED copy. icon_biggrin.gif
(BTW - I love your signature quote. I was just telling my Mother about it last night.)

dynee Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 21

7yyrt, I have a question. Are these older books over half product catalogs like the new ones? I hate it when I pay for the catlalog in every book Wilton has.

7yyrt Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 21

No, they are crammed with information.

In volume #1, pages 1 - 23 have tips and an overview of pans, etc. Volume #2 doesn't even have that much, and my volume #3 hasn't come in yet.
Wilton's Wonderland of Cake Decorating (1966), has no advertising, either.

okred Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:02pm
post #16 of 21

lots of the old books come up on ebay also. Sometimes they don't bring very much and sometimes they are in large lots with several year books. Its kind of fun to try to get the older volumns. I bought my first yearbook in 1977!

kakeladi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:42pm
post #17 of 21

I have a vol 1 that I'm willing to part with. Anyone interested must PM me.

dynee Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 10:44pm
post #18 of 21

7yyrt, Thanks for the info. Just ordered all three.

7yyrt Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #19 of 21

I'm glad - I hope you love them!

dynee Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:27pm
post #20 of 21

I just got my "Wilton Way Vol. 3 The Uses of Tubes" and am completely blown away. Who knew you could do so much with even the tubes I already have AND that there were so many I don't have. Lots of ideas for borders, swags, different flowers and even figure piping, and no catalog part to take up space. Can't wait til Christmas to try the Santa. I know you experienced cake decorators will laugh at me, but this is exciting !!

kakeladi Posted 28 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #21 of 21

I've been telling people for years that Vol 3 is the *BEST* of the 3 icon_smile.gif
Love, love, love it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%