What's The Difference?

Decorating By dolphindreamers Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm by mellormom

dolphindreamers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphindreamers Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:02am
post #1 of 7

This might be a dumb question, but I need to know. What's the difference between luster dust and petal dust? Does one work better than the other on chocolate molds?

6 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:38am
post #2 of 7

Hi dolphindreamers,
I found this site for you, which will hopefully explain it for you.
The bits about Petal & Lustre Dusts are about half way down the page.
Hope this helps you

Bh... icon_smile.gif

http://www.baking911.com/decorating/dusts.htm

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:54am
post #3 of 7

the link isn't working. Could you please post again. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:58am
post #4 of 7

will go grab it and come straight back - thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #5 of 7

Perhaps it best if i copy and paste - then you will see it.... icon_smile.gif
Hope this is helps you .
Bh.

Petal dusts (or blossom tints) are used to achieve deep hues with a matte finish. They are used mainly for dusting flowers made from Gum Paste, where a realistic effect is created.

However, they can also be used for painting on plaques and Fondant. They are extremely versatile - they mix or match, complement or supplement and present a rainbow of colors that blend easily. Mix with water, alcohol or oil-based flavorings for painting, highlighting or deepening of colors. Can also be used to color powdered sugar. Contains no cornstarch. Colors intensify when mixed with liquids. Pearl or Luster Dusts can be applied over or mixed with Petal Dust for a variety of effects. Water soluble. Non toxic.

The flowers can be dusted before or after they have dried by using different types of artists brushes. If a strong color is desired, then a flat brush would be used, but if soft coloring is wanted then a soft round brush should be used.

Luster dusts give subtle colors with a high sheen metallic-like finish. They can be used either alone, or mixed with similar colored matte dusts to create a lustrous sheen, without lightening the color. Brushed on white, they exhibit color and a metallic sheen. Not water soluble. Non toxic.

Sparkle dust is similar to luster dust in effect, but has a larger grain size & gives Gum Paste flowers a wet or dewy look, with just a touch of color. Not water soluble. Non toxic.

Pearl dust When pearlized powder is dusted onto Fondant it takes on a shimmering luster which can be striking on cakes. It comes in names such as Petal, Luster, Sparkle or Pearl. These dusts are often confused with the powder form of concentrated colors. They are nontoxic.

When dusted on white petals, other pearls such as blue, gold, green, orange, red or violet exhibit a subtle translucent or iridescent reflective colored sheen while displaying no apparent or strong color.

May be combined with, or applied over Petal Dust to create custom colors or effects.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 7

Another thing I've seen recommended is non-toxic chalk pastels. They are sticks of chalk that are more deeply hued, for the most part than regular chalk. You just rub it on something (I use a little tea strainer with a tight wire mesh) to create a little dust. Then brush it on as you would any other dust.

I got a box of 48 different colors for $4.99 at Michaels. Imagine what 48 different colors of petal dust would cost you!

And they really work well! I find the various kinds of "dusts" are too light (weight wise) and tend to get static clingy and thus clump and potentially blotch on your piece. I used the chalks to shade the roses in my photos and you can't even tell they were dusted.

Important note: Make sure you get the ones labeled "Non-toxic", not the oil pastels or any of the others (there are lots of different kinds.) The ones I got are "Loew & Cornell in the red box.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks. icon_smile.gif Good to know. I have the chalk that comes in the squares for card making and stamping. That works too but it is more money than the sticks. I will have to try the sticks!
Jen...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%