Red Frosting, Or Any Color For That Matter....?

Decorating By jewlsjahl Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 6:24am by mclaren

jewlsjahl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewlsjahl Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:49am
post #1 of 5

How do I get buttercream or any frosting a nice deep color, like red, without it tasting like crap? Is there a certain brand of dye I should use or what should I do??

4 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:52am
post #2 of 5

One word.... Americolor!!

The Wilton colors seem to be fine for very nice pastel colors, but any darker and they are garbage!! I bought some Americolor Super Red and LOVED it. I got a true red out of some glace for cookies for the first time EVER and it didn't take an entire container of color!

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:06am
post #3 of 5

Along with Americolor you can use Chefmaster Gel Base Color. A little goes a LONG way!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:08am
post #4 of 5

A few of the cakes in my pics are red. You have to tint the icing pink first, then make it red from there. Someone suggested kool-aid, so I tried that. It was putrid. I had to mix in 4 batches of regular BC to get it to taste normal again! I've used strawberry milk powdered mix, and it worked good. It had a hint of strawberry flavor, but not overwhelming.

Also, the longer the color sets, the deeper red it gets!

mclaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mclaren Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:24am
post #5 of 5

we don't have americolor here, so i used powdered red. i tint my BC, then let it stand for 1 or 2 days. it didn't taste funny, and was really red.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%