Square Corners

Decorating By AverageMom Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm by sweetjan

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:13am
post #1 of 9

Help! I've been making fondant covered square cakes, and I keep having the same problem. I get extra folds of fondant on the corners. I've tried cutting the extra off, but then I can't get the two sides to stick together at the corner. How does this work? How do I get a round cover on a square cake?

8 replies
Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:20am
post #2 of 9

You have to do 2 corners first, then smooth the fondant between those two corners. Move on to the next corner, get it smooth, and then do the fondant between that corner and the last one you did. Move on to the 4th corner and repeat the procedure.

If you do your corners first, you won't get those extra flaps of fondant.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:23pm
post #3 of 9

Ditto what Sherri said icon_smile.gif Smooth corners first.

Jen icon_smile.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:39pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you averagemom for posting this thread. I have to do a fondant covered square cake soon and I was also curious about how to do them.

CakeMommy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommy3 Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9

Also make sure that you are rolling your fondant big enough to have some extra to play with. Think of a table cloth on a table-the longer it is, the smoother it is around the edge of the table. I roll mine out at least 4 inches larger that I need, and I never have any trouble with pleating. Maybe it's because I'm not that good at it yet, but it works for me icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageMom

.... but then I can't get the two sides to stick together at the corner.

Are you using one big piece of fondant on the cake, or are you putting "strips" of fondant around the edges? I'm not sure what you're doing when you say you can't get the "two sides" to "stick together"? icon_confused.gif

AverageMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 9

I am going to try doing the corners first, thanks for the advice. As for "getting the corners to stick", I tried cutting the fondant into a box type template before putting it on the cake, to see if that would work. That way there would be no excess fondant. However, I couldn't get the corner seams to stick together.

AverageMom Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:22pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks everybody! I did as you suggested, and worked the corners first. I confess, I did not see how this could possibly work. It did, though! My cake was lovely, no flaps at all.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:31pm
post #9 of 9

Don't ya' love CC? icon_wink.gif
And welcome!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%