Happy Happy Joy Joy! :)

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 24 Mar 2009 , 6:12am by Shannie13

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #1 of 12

I just had to share my wonderful day with my cake-buddies...

My 9 year old niece came over this morning and spent the whole day glued to my side. She made cake (learned how to use the scale and properly measure flour), make buttercream (learned what happens when we don't put a towel over the KitchenAid to catch powdered sugar!), chopped half a pound of chocolate and made ganache, colored 5 handfuls of fondant 5 different colors, cut out nearly 100 fondant flowers, learned how to use a dogbone tool and a Dresden tool - and used both on every one of those flowers!, joyfully applied pearl dust to all of those flowers, helped apply dot centers to each flower, and then she glued every one of those flowers on her cake. She also did her version of a shell border.

This kid also WANTED to clean up the powdered sugar on the floor (asked me where the broom and dustpan were!) and happily washed the mixer bowl and beater paddle when we switched between cake and icing.

It was an absolutely wonderful day. Not a single one of my kids, in the 11 years I've been doing cakes, has ever wanted to do more than play with bags of icing and make decorations on plates.

Happy happy joy joy! icon_biggrin.gif

Oh, and while the cakes were baking, we watched the Disney princesses cake challenge that I had taped...and she just loved it.

It's so nice to have a family member take an interest in what I do! And to share it with a child is priceless. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for reading! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
Bijoudelanuit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bijoudelanuit Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:36am
post #2 of 12

I'm so glad you had a treasure of a day! What a lucky niece she is to have such a wonderful aunt to share a hobby with!

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:24am
post #3 of 12

That sounds so fun! That is a great day. I can hardly wait until my niece and nephew are old enough to bake with.

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:52am
post #4 of 12

How sweet is this! I dream of the day when my daughter is old enough to help me in the kitchen like my sister and I did with my mom and grandma who were both successful bakers! She is only 2 but she can roll out fondant (with the small Wilton Roller) and she cuts out shapes/flowers with the cutters. Certainly on her way. This was a very special day for you. Congrats!

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:15am
post #5 of 12

just gave me an idea to bond with my younger cousin! Fondant! Thanks and that was such a lovely day!

ptanyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ptanyer Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:24am
post #6 of 12

Cakepro - I share your joy! What a wonderful day!!! I am glad to know that there are other women out there that understand what a rare and wonderful feeling it is for family to want to share our love of cake art.

I just experienced this for myself just this week and the sheer joy of it kept me going long past everyone else going to bed. My son is 29 and he has been over everynight this week helping me with a really time consuming castle birthday cake for his youngest step-son who is celebrating his 9th birthday tomorrow. We have laughed and laughed, struggled with ideas and protypes for different things we were doing and got frustrated at so many of the same things.

Thursday night I had the pleasure of working with my son, my 22 yr old nephew and my DH! We all worked until the wee hours of the morning and were "one" in our work.

Then Friday night, my son, my nephew and my 4 yr old granddaughter and myself worked for hours and hours with a break for take out from McDonald's (granddaughter's choice, of course). It was so much fun listening to "oldies", 80's music and watching my granddaughter putting fondant through the clay machine and cutting out different shapes and playing with all the "tools" we had on the table. As long as I live I will never forget the sight and sounds of my son and his daughter working a cake together, 3 generations.. and really having a great time.

It is times like that this that can get you through the hard times and bad times. I have learned what rare treasures those moments are and have learned to recognize the moment for what it is and to stop and simply enjoy it.

After reading your post, I just had to share my experience too!

I wish you many more such days and look forward to seeing your niece's cake photos on CC.

God Bless!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:11am
post #7 of 12

icon_biggrin.gifbirthday.gifthumbs_up.gif

ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:57am
post #8 of 12

I can't wait for my kids to be able to decorate their birthday cakes with me. Sounds like such a great experience for you both!

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:35pm
post #9 of 12

That is SOOooo cool Sherri!

Glad you had fun!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 12

thats sounds wonderful. i cant get my kids to show any interest in what i do, they never have, but im hoping when they get kids of their own that will change. How wonderful that will be. i live in hope!

TonyaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TonyaBakes Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 5:49am
post #11 of 12

My little ones live to help with anything in the kitchen. Mine are 10, 7, and 4. They have their own cutters and everything, lol! Very cute - things can get a little crazy sometimes but I wouldn't trade a minute!

Shannie13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannie13 Posted 24 Mar 2009 , 6:12am
post #12 of 12

I am so happy to hear this!! There are so many distractions for everyone in life that it is really hard to share things with others. Sounds like both of you had alot of fun and enjoyed every moment. Who knows....you may just have a little apprentice on your hands.

Here's to many more days as magical as this one!!!
Shannie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%