Wedding Cupcake Experts Needed :)

Decorating By pinkbox Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm by tyty

pinkbox Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 4:13am
post #1 of 10

I have an order for 120 cupcakes soon. I was hoping that those of you who have done this before could give me some tips to make this venture successful as I haven't done this many before.

1. How do you keep them from drying out?
2. Do you use the standard size cupcakes or jumbo?
3. What does one recommend for the stand?

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
Kim

9 replies
JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 10

I can help you on the freshness part. Cupcakes cannot be stores as long as a regular cake. They can dry out THRU the paper. I always bake and decorate the day B4 the even and store in shallow boxes covered in wax paper with the paper cracked a couple and inch or two at the side of the box. I don't want to seal them shut and create mositure. My papers start coming loose then. I'll be interested to hear what others do.

I use standard size papers.

Jen icon_smile.gif

pinkbox Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you Jen.... I will keep that in mind.

Do you think that a simple syrup would help this???

JenniferMI Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 10

I don't think so, but that's just my opinion. They can dry THRU the paper...the paper is not airtight. At least that is my thought..... I really cringe when I see people using simple syrup.... I like to bake moist cake, not try to make it moist after the fact icon_lol.gif

Hope that helps!!

Jen icon_smile.gif

Mme_K Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:30pm
post #5 of 10

I've stored them in an air tight container for several days, decorated or not decorated, with great results.

sugarspice Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #6 of 10

Check out the cupcake forum-LOTS of good wedding cupcake info there!

indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 10

120 shouldn't take as long as you think. If your oven can hold one 24-cavity pan or two 12-cavity pans, you can bake 24 at one time, so that's only 5 baking batches. At 15-20 minutes per batch, you're looking at about 2 hours or less in baking time. They cool in no time ... much less time than a cake.

So while 120 cupcakes sounds like a large quantity (and it is ... I'm not taking away from that), dont' let the big number make you nervous. Just break it down to the time elements and you'll be fine. thumbs_up.gif

tyty Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #8 of 10

I'm no expert by no means but I always bake ahead. For the cupcake wedding I did, I used the WASC recipe because that is what the customer requested. They were stored in clamshell containers and placed in a 2 gallon zip-loc freezer bag for about a week. When thawed I punched holes in the tops with a fork and added a simple syrup to hold the moisture in, if the cake is already dry the syrup won't help, you may as well start over. The cc's were standard size, 216 in all. I used a stand I ordered from www.weddingfads.com.

pinkbox Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:25pm
post #9 of 10

Awesome information. Thank you all for your input. Now I dont feel so daunted.

I will be making sunflowers, which Ive done before so it should be quick as far as piping time.

I will be using the WASC lemon and strawberry... (they have interesting tastes.... the lemon and strawberry plus peanutbutter top tier saving cake. hmmmmm.... to each their own haha)

Now... as far as the cupcake papers.... any recommendation?? Green?

TIA

tyty Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:37pm
post #10 of 10

If you are making flowers, green may be best. But you have to think about the colors of the wedding too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%