Do You Have An Agbay?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 11 May 2009 , 1:31am by chefjulie

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:31pm
post #31 of 84

The Agbay is without a doubt a wonderful tool. My hubby bought me one and surprised me with it. Torting my cakes has become such a joy. I actually look forward to it icon_lol.gif Before receiving the Agbay, I did use the Wilton large leveler. I literally destroyed 2 cakes with that thing.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #32 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelanthony

the owners of the company are very nice also as she is a cake decorator and her husband came up with the product to help his wife.Michael

When I ordered mine, I called and did it over the phone. They were having power problems because of the freezing back there. Well when she punch in the numbers she accidentally hit an extra 0. She called her merchant co. and they said it was corrected. But in the morning my account showed the first amount she put in. I called her and she explained what happened and started working on it right away. I think a large co. would have just said well my merchant co. took care of it and that would have been the end of it. Never mind it might take 3 days for the money to go back into my account and my house payment might not clear. Yeah my bank would have refunded over draft charges but I would be the one dealing with all the hassle. She got on her phone on her end and I got on mine with the bank and between the two of us we got the information to my bank so they could fix the error. She was very nice and I think she was on the phone most of the day fixing it, I had to go to work. Maureen sent me a cake decorating book to thank me for my patience but accidents happen and I really appreciated that she knew how big a deal it would be on my end and did everything she could to fix it. Not everyone would do that.

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:10pm
post #33 of 84

I agree with everyone above-LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Agbay. I don't know how I ever used that piece-of-garbage Wilton leveler before! The small wire Wilton leveler was ok, but the big one stinks.

Julie icon_smile.gif

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 6:41pm
post #34 of 84

i've been looking into it. My question is: how do you keep your cake from moving while you use both hands to slide the agbay side to side?

or is the Agbay just *that* good?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:30pm
post #35 of 84

one hand hld the ake and the other hand saws with the agbay

they have a video in their site

HTH

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:36pm
post #36 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

HTH

Is the ake (ache) that you have to hold on to because of the booboo you get from the agbay??? icon_lol.gif

Sorry Sharon, I couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #37 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

HTH

Is the ake (ache) that you have to hold on to because of the booboo you get from the agbay??? icon_lol.gif

Sorry Sharon, I couldn't resist. icon_lol.gif

icon_eek.gif tee hee.. I am known to type fast and poorly... sorry!

i meant "cake" and yes I have had many an ache from slicing my finger with that thing! LOL

icon_biggrin.gif

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:02pm
post #38 of 84

Which one should I get. I so excited I can't even think straight! icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 9:42pm
post #39 of 84

sorry, the video i saw on their website shows the lady holding both hands on the Agbay and going through the cake effortlessly (which i assume was pre-cut before the cameras started rolling) that's why I asked. I didn't know if it was easy to use with one hand while you held the cake.

Thanks for the answer, Sharon!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #40 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by niccicola

sorry, the video i saw on their website shows the lady holding both hands on the Agbay and going through the cake effortlessly (which i assume was pre-cut before the cameras started rolling) that's why I asked. I didn't know if it was easy to use with one hand while you held the cake.

Actually I have torted cakes many times using both hands on the Agbay leveler while cutting through the cake. I just put the cake on a non slip mat and I have no problems with it moving while I am torting. I'm tellin ya, that thing is awesome!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #41 of 84

I'm due to get one in the next month or two. It's my next big purchase! icon_lol.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:18pm
post #42 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcabrera

Which one should I get. I so excited I can't even think straight! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd love to get one too but can't justify getting one just yet as I just make cakes for home and not to frequently either. I would love to get the double blade but am thinking if and when I do get it, it will be the single one because you can always adjust the blade height to torte.
Now if I had a business and made lots of cakes I would definitely get the deluxe model.

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:21pm
post #43 of 84
Quote:

I'm getting the double blade one -- if I'm making a big $$$ purchase I usually save a little more and get all the bells and whistles. icon_biggrin.gif

niccicola Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 10:41pm
post #44 of 84

is it better to torte multiple layers going top to bottom or bottom to top?

dcabrera Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:05pm
post #45 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I'm getting the double blade one -- if I'm making a big $$$ purchase I usually save a little more and get all the bells and whistles. icon_biggrin.gif

I agree. Let's get our agbay cake cutters! Yippeee!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:12pm
post #46 of 84
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

I agree. Let's get our agbay cake cutters! Yippeee!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Yeah baby!! icon_lol.gif

sugarshack Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:53pm
post #47 of 84
Quote:

My bad! I never actually watched the video, I just assumed it showed it the way I do it! SORRY! icon_redface.gif

Left hand on top of cake lightly, right hand saws.

niccicola Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:27am
post #48 of 84

no, no you're fine! I was hoping maybe the Agbay was just THAT badass and you didn't have to hold the cake. not that it doesn't look like it kicks butt as is...

LOL icon_biggrin.gif

sugarshack Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 12:40am
post #49 of 84

LOL. well, I am sure if you used a silpat like some said, it would hold, but I don't use one .

But the Agbay is SO bad ass that you only NEED one hand to slice thru that cake like buttah!

dcabrera Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:42am
post #50 of 84

Alright, the only way to order one of these bad boys is by phone right? I've called them two days in a row, and no answer icon_confused.gif I'm worried hubby will change his mind in letting me get one. icon_sad.gif I hope they answer soon. If there's a better way of buying one?

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #51 of 84

I plan on getting one soon. I was so frustrated with my last wedding cake-the top wasn't quite level. So...I got this nifty small triangular shaped bubble-level that lays flat. I own the large wilton leveler. I placed the bubble level flat on the blade. It shows if the surface is level in 2 directions--front to back as well as side to side.
The results??? You guessed it!! THE BLADE WAS NOT LEVEL ITSELF-FRONT TO BACK OR SIDE TO SIDE. yes, it was in the same notches on each side of the blade.
Whats that saying "Can't make a purse out of a sow's ear" thumbsdown.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:36am
post #52 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

True. I have many, many little cuts to prove how sharp it is. For a while I was wearing a cut resistant glove on the hand that gets close to the blade. Maureen always says "Keep your hands and fingers AWAY from the blade!"

It is definately a tool that demands a LOT of respect! "WATCH OUT KIDS, STEP AWAY FROM THE KITCHEN....MOM'S BRINGING OUT THE AGBAY!!" lol.....I treat it with as much respect as I do my husbands power saws! So far we still have all our fingers. icon_wink.gif

BTW--I waited over a year to afford mine, and very happy with it.

niccicola Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 1:41pm
post #53 of 84

LOL ^^ that's why I think I should wait until I open shop before getting one because something as dangerous as the Agbay is sure to catch the eye of my daring 2.5yo son. I guarantee i'll catch him trying to saw his monster trucks in half, or worse, his sister!!

dcabrera Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #54 of 84
Quote:

LOL ^^ that's why I think I should wait until I open shop before getting one because something as dangerous as the Agbay is sure to catch the eye of my daring 2.5yo son. I guarantee i'll catch him trying to saw his monster trucks in half, or worse, his sister!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:47pm
post #55 of 84
Quote:

LOL... It does come with a very nice safety cover, and I keep mine in the cabinet above the fridge. I really do make the kids leave the kitchen when I'm using it. They are 6, 4, & 2. Not just for their little wandering fingers, but so that I can focus on it and not take out mine. I just know it's going to bite me someday.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 4:02pm
post #56 of 84

I should have added in my post that I did call Maureen and she was so nice. Answered all of my questions. I've saved for this for a long time and I just can't wait to get it. The Wilton one is a joke, mine went in the trash the first time I used it. I am in no way a professional, but my cakes are looking better all the time and I think this will be a great help.

Melissa

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 3:02am
post #57 of 84
Quote:

Alright, the only way to order one of these bad boys is by phone right? I've called them two days in a row, and no answer icon_confused.gif I'm worried hubby will change his mind in letting me get one. icon_sad.gif I hope they answer soon. If there's a better way of buying one?

Yep! The only way to order it is by phone. It's a small operation... the husband and wife have the business together. It took a while for my dad to get through as well. In fact, 5 days, it was during the Christmas blizzard they had up in the NE. She didn't have power to get on the internet, and the phone lines were out. She actually let my dad place an order with her at 9:30 PM. That's totally outside of business hours. But they were really great! Try to send her an email.

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 26 Mar 2009 , 11:53am
post #58 of 84
Quote:

No, I e-mailed them since I am in Australia, time difference, etc.
Maureen replied my e-mails promptly, all questions answered, sent paypal invoice, delivery info, shipment update all thru e-mail. thumbs_up.gif

dcabrera Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #59 of 84

My brand spankin new Agbay is way better than I expected. The worst part for me was the torting, but not anymore. Thanks everyone! thumbs_up.gif

kcat3740 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcat3740 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:44pm
post #60 of 84

I already knew I wanted an Agbay but after reanding this thread I decided I had to have it NOW! I have been out of town and my Agbay came in while I was gone....I am so excited - can't wait to use it this week! For those of you who are not getting an answer when you call - leave a message. I did and Maureen called back within an hour or so and was very nice - I had intended to order an extra blade and rather than trying to make an additional sale she discouraged me from that saying that I would not need it for a very long time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%