Atomic Cake..............

Baking By tannersmom Updated 23 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm by tannersmom

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 13

I had a request for an atomic cake. I told the lady that I had never even heard of one. She explained it to me and boy does it sound yummy. Has anyone ever made one and if so can I borrow your recipe??????

Stephanie

12 replies
LadyBugMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #2 of 13

Tell us what she explained. I've found that other's words for things are different than my wording but are the same things. THis might help us to help you. At least me anyway.

tannersmom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #3 of 13

She said that the cake has three laers of cake(yellow, chocolate and yellow). Between each layer is a filling (bananas mixed with orange marmalade, strawberry filling and a pineapple filling). And then the cake is covered with whip topping. HTH

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 13

Holy Yumm! THeir are a ton of Recipy's in the "recipes" tab, you may start their. I have a lot of good recipes from here. With these amazing people you can't go wrong! I'll do some checking too.

T-Bird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
T-Bird Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:34am
post #5 of 13

This was my grandmother's recipe, hence the cake mixes, sure you could substitue any scratch recipe if you wanted. Hope this helps, it's a bit long.

Ingredients:
1 Box of Chocolate Cake Mix
1 Box of Banana Cake Mix
1 Box of Yellow or White Cake Mix
1 Can of Chocolate Icing
1 Can of Vanilla Pudding
3 Banans
1 Jar of Straberry Glaze
1 Pint of Fresh Strawberries
2 Large 12oz Bowls of Cool Whip

Makes a 10" Cake

Bake a chocolate, banana, white or yellow cake as directed on box. Cool on racks, place in refridgerator unitl completely cool. Remove from refridgerator and split the cakes in two. You will h ave 6 layers of cakes. Use only one of each kind. Place on e of the white or yellow cakes on the bottom. Use an icing bag with large tip, fill with cool whip. Make a well around the edge of the cake then clean the strawberries and mix with the strawberry glaze. Fill the center of the cake so that the top is completely covered. Place a layer of banana cake on top of the strawberries. Make a well around the cake again. Clean bananas and cut up into 1/2 can of vanilla pudding, fill in the well of cake. Place the chocolate layer on top of bananas. Take the can of chocolate icing and put a thin layer on top of chocolate cake. Use cool whip to frost entire cake. Place in refridgerator to keep.

Directions are simplistic, I know, but I just copied them directly. My mom has made this and it's delicious. I haven't had the time to do it yet.

HTH

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:35am
post #6 of 13

Is this the one she described?

Atomic Cake
1 layer banana or yellow cake
1 layer chocolate cake
1 layer white cake
Fresh bananas, sliced
1 small box Jell-O Banana Pudding
Fresh strawberries, sliced
1 small box Jell-O Chocolate Pudding
1 small box Jell-O Vanilla Pudding
Whipped cream

Set the banana (or yellow) cake layer on a cake plate. Top with sliced bananas, then spread banana pudding over the top to hold the bananas together.

Place the chocolate cake layer on top. Top with sliced strawberries, then spread chocolate pudding over the top.

Place the white cake layer on top. Spread with vanilla pudding.

Frost top and sides of cake with a generous amount of whipped cream. Refrigerate.

I have also iced it with cream cheese frosting and with chocolate ganache

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:37am
post #7 of 13

I found this from googling:
Yield
1 cup

Ingredients
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
2 tablespoons orange marmalade
1 teaspoon orange juice
Preparation
Place all ingredients in a food processor; process until smooth. Place frosting in a zip-top plastic bag. Snip a tiny hole in one corner of bag; drizzle frosting over biscotti.

Hope this helps then just add Bananas. It seemed simple enough.

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:41am
post #8 of 13

Ignore my post use these other lady's recipes, they're a much better help.

JaimeAnn Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:45am
post #9 of 13

LadyBugMom - That recipe sounds like it would be an awesome glaze for danishes or cinamon rolls .. YUUUUMMMMM

LadyBugMom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 3:49am
post #10 of 13

Yummmm, good thought thanks, JaimeAnn

tannersmom Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 11:00pm
post #11 of 13

Oh my. Those recipes sound so yummy. Jaime Ann, it's sounds soooo close to your recipe. Thanks everyone. I can't wait to try it. It sounds like one of those cakes that make a bit "hit" at summer cookouts.

Thanks
Stephanie

JaimeAnn Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 8:34am
post #12 of 13

One tip , If you use the instant pudding use a little less milk in the preparation so it will get a little firmer than normal.

tannersmom Posted 23 Mar 2009 , 3:49pm
post #13 of 13

I was thinking along the same lines as, less milk. I hope that it doesn't run over the sides. Thanks again!

Stephanie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%